Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this horrible squeak that sounded like it was coming from the right rear shock top mount. As it turned out,the right ebrake cable was squeaking where it went thru that hoop beneath the car. I cut a pice of rubber hose and zip tied it around the cable and no more squeak! Thank you focus fanatics!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm getting the same from the front end and thought it was the cheap after market control arms I installed until a recent thread said it was the ebrake cable too.

Hmmm - never would have thought that could make a 'crunching' sound but will have to look at that also.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I spent 4 hours last night chasing that damn squeak. I put the hose around my e brake cable .Still there. This has been driving me crazy for a few months. So last night I removed the sway bar and the urethane bushing. Still squeaks. I crawled up under the car and had a buddy of mine bounce the car up and down a thousand times. I lubed the crap out of every joint and bushing.. still squeak. WTF ? I took the bottom shock mount off. Up on jack stands, with the shock hanging down I found that sob ! Mine was the upper spring perch rubber . I sprayed it with white lithium grease. No more squeak. And I bet the bottom of my car won't rust either . Man what a relief.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I took a plastic oil container and cut it and wrapped it around the cable and slid it thru the bracket problem solved.Been over a year no more noise

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, this might be it! I'm dropping it off next weekend to have it looked at and will report back. Thanks to all who have replied so far.*

zzzz

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
A little humor...

Brand new Cadillac...
Owner is real pleased except when it goes over a bump there is a klunk
Goes to dealership, can't fix right off
Brings it back again, then they start replacing stuff
No good still a klunk
Bring it back, It takes 6 burly mechanics to jerk the Cadi up and down then they hear the klunk.
The klunk is coming from an area with no access, so they cut a small hole and fish out a big nut with a note attached:
"I hope you never find this you rich xxx" [expletive deleted]

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
A little humor...

Brand new Cadillac...
Owner is real pleased except when it goes over a bump there is a klunk
Goes to dealership, can't fix right off
Brings it back again, then they start replacing stuff
No good still a klunk
Bring it back, It takes 6 burly mechanics to jerk the Cadi up and down then they hear the klunk.
The klunk is coming from an area with no access, so they cut a small hole and fish out a big nut with a note attached:
"I hope you never find this you rich xxx" [expletive deleted]
That`s probably a true story .... Funny as hell though.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Wow, this might be it! I'm dropping it off next weekend to have it looked at and will report back. Thanks to all who have replied so far.
Hey Ronsfocus,

Keep me up to date with your status. You can PM me with the details, including your VIN, mileage, contact info, dealer name and location. I want to make sure the issue was solved.

Thanks,

Noemi

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Anyone actually have a pic of this piece? I'm confused on which eyelet is it? Is it the one right under the corner of the rear door? right before the wheel arch?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's on on each side,they support the e-brake cables where they go to each rear wheel. Some refer to them as an eye bolt,they do look similar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rloos,
Thank you. I've been chasing a squeaky right rear suspension problem on a 2007 sedan for a month.
I put some oil on the shaft of the shock absorber, and I thought it eliminated the squeak temporarily, so I bought and installed new rear shocks last weekend. Damn squeak was still there.
I was attempting to determine which of the ball joints was bad, until I read your post.
Sure enough, it was the em-brake cable rubbing on the metal eye ring supporting it.
The rubber coating was wore off, and it was metal to metal. Rubber hose with wire ties does the trick.
It is amazing how satisfying it is to eliminate that terrible sound.

Take care,

Baime

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks

I did a google search for "focus rear suspension squeak" and found this thread. I slipped a small piece of plastic bottle between the loop bracket and the park brake line and now it's quiet!!!! This has been driving me nuts and a big thank you to you guys here a FF!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow.

Ford quoted me $100 deductible payment to fix that stupid squeak because it was past 50K kliks!!! Thanks guys, will be fixing this tomorrow if it's not raining 8)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have this same problem I fear. Are these cables under the actual back seat or underneath the car?? I've been told both places. I need to know exactly please :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I found the best way to get rid of squeaks is to have the car rust proofed with oil. I take my cars to a rust-proofing place every 2nd year and never a squeak.

Note I make sure they use oil spray not waxes or greases.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts