Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done searches and I have not found any thread with my issue and with answers.

I have a 2007 Focus SE with 103k miles. It has the original rear suspension and replacement shocks (SVT) put on about 10K miles ago. I have been noticing a noise when I am going over bumps, it sounds like a "clunk" or "thud' and it happens when the suspension travels at low or high speeds. It does not make any noise on smoother roads at any speed. It is worse on the passenger side.

I lifted the rear and checked all rubber bushings on the 3 arms attached to the rear suspension and none were visibly deteriorated and I could not move any of the arms at ride level, mid height (tires on ground but most weight off suspension) and with all weight off tires.

I can hear it at low speeds when going over a small "drop-off" place in my driveway (low speed) and when going over rougher roads at speed.

I prefer not to throw parts at it, but I do want to know what others have done to remedy similar situations.

I would appreciate input from anyone who has had this issue and solved it if possible.

Don

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
How is the top shock bushings? Did you use the oem bushings? Or the new ones w/ the shocks?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Do you have a video you could upload? I had a bad clunking or popping noise when I would enter/exit driveways and parking lots when going over the gutter on the side of the road. Ended up being my rear sway bar end links. The bushings were pretty much pancakes.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I used the new bushings that came with the new FRPP shocks.
That's what I did also. There is some slop on the oem bushing mounts for the top rear shock mounts. I just used the rubber bushings in place of the oem bushings. IDK why Ford did that. CFM offers a part of some sort to take up the slack as I recall.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try the shock absorber fix first, then maybe take my sway bars off and inspect the bushings carefully if it doesn't fix the noise. Thanks!

If others have different insight, I would appreciate all that can be offered.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I will try the shock absorber fix first, then maybe take my sway bars off and inspect the bushings carefully if it doesn't fix the noise. Thanks!

If others have different insight, I would appreciate all that can be offered.
Great time to add poly bushings in place of the rubber ones on the bar & end links.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Great time to add poly bushings in place of the rubber ones on the bar & end links.

this^^^ I replaced my front lca bushings since they were going bad w/ poly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts