Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01' focus SE SOHC. I started having a lound vibration in the rear and lousy traction also in the rear. At first I thought it was the wheel bearings, but when I took my tire off the inner side of the tire had lumps all around. Replaced those and the sound went away but still have a very bumpy ride. I just replaced the shocks and I can still feel every bump on the road even on freshly paved roads. Any other thoughts of why replacing the shocks didnt fix the problem. And has anyone else dealt with this before.

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
270 Posts
I've replaced my rear shocks twice now with Monroe replacements and it's a firmer ride than the stock ones but not harsh. How do your springs look? I don't think it's common for them to break on the Focus but the stock ones have a rubber coating on at least part of the spring so if they're sagging enough they could be bound up against the coating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You may have a camber problem. You need to make sure on the SOHC to get your camber to 0 to -1.0 (from what I have read). The lower control arm that supports the bottom of the spring is attached to the rear crossmember frame (towards the center of the focus) with camber adjusting bolts. These bolts are what adjusts the camber.
I would first check your springs and make sure there isnt anything going on. You could put a jack under the lower control arm and raise and lower it to see if anything is loose or broken. If you do this also take a look at the control arm that goes towards the front of the car. It could be loose at the body connection pivot point which would affect your toe.
You may benefit from purchasing a rear sway bar and installation kit which will help in keeping the rear more stiff and balanced.
The other thing is make sure your rear shocks are tightened at the top towers, and purchase sport shocks like KYB's or some perferred brand as these are valved to be a little stiffer but will hold the wheel to the ground and ride out the poor stock springs.
Note: the problem with camber wear on the inside of your tire is that once it starts it puts a strange wear pattern that you cannot get rid of even after you fix the camber problem. Your best bet is to remove the tires off the rear rims and swap them so that the worn edge is on the outside, but I would rather purchase new tires then deal with that myself as you would still have the wooo wooo woooing sound from the tires.
Good Luck,
Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
You may have a camber problem. You need to make sure on the SOHC to get your camber to 0 to -1.0 (from what I have read). The lower control arm that supports the bottom of the spring is attached to the rear crossmember frame (towards the center of the focus) with camber adjusting bolts. These bolts are what adjusts the camber.
I would first check your springs and make sure there isnt anything going on. You could put a jack under the lower control arm and raise and lower it to see if anything is loose or broken. If you do this also take a look at the control arm that goes towards the front of the car. It could be loose at the body connection pivot point which would affect your toe.
You may benefit from purchasing a rear sway bar and installation kit which will help in keeping the rear more stiff and balanced.
The other thing is make sure your rear shocks are tightened at the top towers, and purchase sport shocks like KYB's or some perferred brand as these are valved to be a little stiffer but will hold the wheel to the ground and ride out the poor stock springs.
Note: the problem with camber wear on the inside of your tire is that once it starts it puts a strange wear pattern that you cannot get rid of even after you fix the camber problem. Your best bet is to remove the tires off the rear rims and swap them so that the worn edge is on the outside, but I would rather purchase new tires then deal with that myself as you would still have the wooo wooo woooing sound from the tires.
Good Luck,
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts