Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
wow wtf i have been looking everywhere trying to find out what that squeak could be and everytime i take my car to the dealer i can never find a bump hard enough to generate this noise..but this is definitely the nooise! gonna try this fix tmrw! god bless the OP if this works!

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hey guys, first post. Just picked up an 06 ZX3 that had an awful squeak coming from the right rear. pretty much squeaked non stop the entire time i drove the car. Was going insane, until i stumbled upon this thread.

Mine, like the guy above me was coming from the loop hole thing on the ebrake cable. You can see the wear spot in the picture. I wedged a piece of rubber in there and it totally stopped squeaking.

Oh and a pic of my new Focus:
Yours looks diff from mine...my ebrake is up along the side of the car, not a foot in from the side, so could be diff setup.

Is this like a harsh, compressed clanking sound occurring mostly when turning and going over bumps or rough spots?? Wondering if this is the issue I have, but no one has described the sound well lol
Posted via FF Mobile
Not, it is more of a metallic scratching/screechy (but not wicked loud).

wow wtf i have been looking everywhere trying to find out what that squeak could be and everytime i take my car to the dealer i can never find a bump hard enough to generate this noise..but this is definitely the nooise! gonna try this fix tmrw! god bless the OP if this works!
did it work?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had this problem since I bought the car in 2008. It is a 2006 ZX4. After reading this thread I remembered the noise when I bought the car. I told the dealership and they fixed it and told me it was the e-brake!!! I have replaced the shock and just a couple of days ago put a brand new swing arm (??) on at $145!!!!! and I just drove over the railroad tracks tonight and the sound is back!!! Sooooooooooooooooo pissed!

I am going to have my bf look at it and I am crossing my fingers because I simply cannot deal with the squeak anymore and it makes my car sound like a POS!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can somebody please post pictures of where exactly the trouble spot is? I hate this squeak and need to get rid of it.
If you look underneath the car about 8-12 inches ahead of the rear passenger side wheel you will see a steel cable wrapped in rubber going through a ring bolted on the frame. You will most likely find that the rubber has worn away and it is metal rubbing metal making the squeak.

It is under the car in this area.

Unfortunately, greasing it is only a temporary solution, and I have used rubberized electrical tape on mine now, but I am certain that will wear away too.

This is the ring-you will see the red tape is what I added under the ring.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This article supersedes TSB 06-25-2 to update the model years and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Focus vehicles may exhibit a squeaking noise from the rear of the vehicle over bumps. This noise may be caused by contact between the rear parking brake cable sleeve and the wire form bracket located under the vehicle near the rear suspension tie bar being transferred into the vehicle body.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove the parking brake cable bolt. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 08-4-15

Insert the plastic insert into the square hole used for locating the parking brake cable guide. (Figure 1)
Remove any existing grease from the cable guide and cable (in this area only) by wiping clean with a suitable service towel.
Install the cable guide onto vehicle by inserting the locating tab of the guide into the center of the plastic insert and reinstalling the parking brake cable bolt. Torque to 17 lb-ft (23 N-m).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Omg- thank you!!!

After disassembling the right rear suspension and still not finding that dam squeak I saw this post and fixed mine! [cheers] That's been wearing me out for two weeks!
I took a thick zip-tie and stuck it through the hook so the cable rides against the nylon tie. No more squeak!!! THANK YOU!!! You ROCK![headbang]

UFM82

·
Registered
53 Posts
add me to the list of folks who got the squeak fixed. I went the zip tie route after going to Ford and getting a copy of the TSB. Their fix looks pretty lame.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have had this squeak for quite some time now. It has progressively gotten worse over the last year or so. I decided to do the quick lube cure to see if this really was the issue and sure enough it was. Thanks guys! I am going to get some heavy duty zip ties and just get rid of the metal cable holders.

Now if anyone could tell me how to get rid of the rear popping (soda can like) sound. I think it is from my massive rear stress but I dunno.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thanks Nem, seriously want to make love to you! I don't need to describe how much this has bothered me and for how long, but the fact of what it was and how easy of a fix for a guy that is as mechanically inclined as myself baffles me....LOL. THANK-YOU!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The fix worked for me, thanks

Very annoying squeak, anytime the car body moved slightly.
After reading this thread, I checked and sure enough, the passenger side eyelet support had worn through to the bare metal casing of the ebrake.

My 2007 Focus wagon has 160,000 km and this squeak just developed last spring 2012.

Did a temporary fix with duck tape on the worn area of the ebrake cable, and squeak has disappeared.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Glad this is helping people...the pics were gone, so here they are again, fresh. Look under the car where I noted and you will see this green piece...it is the white clip it sits in that makes the noise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was just about to go and get new shocks cause this sound was driving me crazy as well! And I only bought the car 3 days ago! Sved me at least 300.00 and the time changing the shocks! Love this Forum!

Bought a 2007 Zx4 ST and thats my 4th foci!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got an 08' Focus and noticed the squeak in the rear suspension and have to say "THANK YOU!" Just a couple zip ties through the rear Ebrake loop mounts and no more squeaky.

Also found a rattle above the gauge cluster and tightened those two screws facing up, still rattled. took out the two screws facing up and removed the trim panel surrounding the gauge cluster, inspected, replaced but didn't tighten screws all the way, rattle gone.

Just in case I thought I'd pass that 2nd prob. along.

Bookseeb

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I am going to look at this tomorrow. If this solves the problem I will love the OP forever!

I have had the squeak since day 1. As of this winter it has gotten to the really annoying point. I have slightly unballanced tires in the rear so on the highway it happens like 200 times a minute. I am going suicidal.

I am going to check this out tomorrow. I will be so pumped if this solves my dreaded issue.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts