Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is the nut on this bolt welded on, I stuck my head under there it looked like it was. I'm having a he'll of a time Getting this to bust loose. Then the sway is all I have to disconnect to get the spring out? U need a spring compressor to put them in or can I put a jack under it and jack it up and compress the arm into place?

Sent from awesome iPhone app

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
yes the nut is welded. Usually the bolt seizes in the sleeve inside of the bushing. It could be possible to break it free if its not that bad. But you may have to cut the bolt to get it out.

When i did my rear springs i just just a spring compressor and a pry bar. It worked but was not the best way to go about doing it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
When I did my rear springs I pulled the bolt on the other side of the arm. It pulls out and you can use a jack to help raise and lower the arm. I gave up on the spring compressor cuz it was such a pain in the butt.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Don't touch the nut lol. Loosen the bolt on the other side. All the suspension uses bolts
and the nuts are permanently welded(until u brake one lol). And since u are on lowered springs already just a jack to support and guide the arm down after u take out the bolt. As long as u go slow with the jack u should be safe

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Disconnect the sway bar first other wise the lca wont drop down all the way

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you are using lowering spings you probably should use a camber kit. If you don't you'll grind off the inside edge of your rear tires! I added the Ford Motorsport lowering springs and I noticed the wear on my rear tires pretty quick. Camber bolts are cheap - like $25 bucks a pair at Jegs or E-Bay. And yeah I had to take off that nut from the arm. I used an air chisel to knock them off.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Take the bolt out, don't touch the nut. If the bolt is seized in the arm's bushing (as they almost invariably are), try taking the bolt out from the inboard end of the control arm, as the others have suggested. If the inboard bolt is frozen too, refer to the last post in this link:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265128

1 - 7 of 7 Posts