Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to get at the rear speakers in a ZX3?

I'm replacing my stock speakers with the ones I bought for my truck back in March and I can't see any way to take the back side panels off without breaking anything.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
there's 4 pull tabs that you have to take off first, one you can see with the seat folded down, the other is kinda hidden but below the first one. the plastic molding where the seatbelt retracts needs to come off first, then just find where the clips are and give it a pull. they should come off with a moderate force. hope this helps!

Josh

·
Registered
567 Posts
once you get those tabs out the top of the panel remove the "b" panel( the panel where the seat belt goes into). then the speaker panel is cliped in if you push or pull up on the panel they should come out just be careful of the window. one tool that allways helps it a door panel removal tool. Ive got one and that thing comes in so handy all the time.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it all done...I snapped off one of the clips that holds the panel in and the little rod (?) that engages with the seatbelt mechanism. Nothing a little two-part epoxy can't fix...

Sounds much better now. The stock speakers were practically the same as the ones I pulled out of my '93 Ranger. You'd think Ford would've changed their stock factory speakers after 10 years.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
haha, i did the same thing with my seatbelt cover, the passenger's side, now the cover moves but the seatbelt doesn't. oh well, i'm not normally the one to carry around people anyways

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is this common to break things when taking your car apart? You would think they would make things snap off easier. On my Focus I broke my gator clip looking thing on my driver side mirror and I always think of the depriciated value of that part now. Anyone else break anything thats really visible? Haven't gotten to the rear speakers yet but I'm sure I'll be in the club of breaking the seatbelt rod.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Word of warning-

When you do remove the back panels, make sure you align the seatbelt rod with the mechanism when you replace the seatbelt shroud piece. I had to run to Wal-Mart to pick up a tube of two-part epoxy for the retention clip and I was trying to adjust the seatbelt, pushed too hard and it just snapped off. I tried epoxying it but it keeps snapping off, fortunately it was on the passenger side so I just reached inside and pushed it to the top and tell everyone to leave it alone.

As far as the retention clips, if they do snap off they're a breeze to re-attach since the back panels are made out of a paper-based material (at least in 2002's) that glue sticks very well to. As long as you're careful it shouldn't be a problem, I think the only reason mine broke off was it wasn't glued properly at the factory.

·
Registered
135 Posts
thats the thing with these new cars...they go together but they dont come apart...plastic and clips all over the place. what ever happened to metal and screws...yeah i know its heavy but damnit i want to be able to take it apart...its just how i am

·
Registered
36 Posts
take off the seatbelt cover before you take off the rear panel. At first i thought i had to take out my seats to get access to the panel. with the seat out it made it really easy to get the panel off. You can also get the panel off with the seat in though. 3 body clips up top, some on the b pillar and two clips on the back of the panel. not that hard to do. don't force it if it doesn't come off. make sure there is nothing else in the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
there's 4 pull tabs that you have to take off first, one you can see with the seat folded down, the other is kinda hidden but below the first one. the plastic molding where the seatbelt retracts needs to come off first, then just find where the clips are and give it a pull. they should come off with a moderate force. hope this helps!

Josh
Focuson03: Makes more sense as you put it - thanks for telling it clearly. My reason for dumping the big panel is to put sound deadening on whatever is under it. I want QUIET - instead of sounding like a roller skate on a gravel road! I stripped all of the useless factory 'stick-on' strips on the floor and cleaned the surface so the new sound deadening material would stick good. I'm looking for a site showing each panel in detail and how it is attached .....If there IS one.

Donscar

1 - 15 of 15 Posts