Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I completed the rear turn signal conversion today following the write up here.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65546

The only thing i did different was, my reverse/now new turn signals, move them up to the space between the reverse light housing and brake light housing. So instead of having to find a new spot for reverse lights I just cut some off of another set of tails and wired them as instructed in the write up. But now I'm having a problem. It only occurs with the left turn signal and it affects both front, side marker and rear. As I turn it on it works fine, but as soon as I turn on the parking lights or headlights it starts blinking faster, the right signal works fine though through all this. Where should I start checking for problems? I'm lost as to why this is happening.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
i've been wanting to do this. except run fogs to my bumper for reverse lights. looks like i might have my xmas break project.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the bulb's are in working order. I just replaced the left rear turn signal bulb from 922 14w bulb to 921 18w bulb and it has not made a difference. I do not know what else to do except maybe get a new flasher relay and I don't even know where in the car it is located. I really need some help please?

·
Registered
520 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a ground issue.
The signal is using the parking light wire for a ground so when you turn the lights on the ground path is lost.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds to me like you have a ground issue.
The signal is using the parking light wire for a ground so when you turn the lights on the ground path is lost.
So, if I was to run a new ground wire directly to the body for that one light in theory that should fix the problem correct?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I don't have your year car, but thought I would mention this. The front/rear bulbs (not side) are dual filament. each filament has a diff brightness, hence current draw. Your turn signal flasher is current sensitive (why LED conversion needs a resistor). S0! By chance, do you have one of the left side bulbs in backwards? (can happen with some types of bulbs/sockets).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As soon as I can get away from work long enough, I'll try reversing the bulb and then running an independent ground wire to see if any of those work. Thanks for the help guys, I hope one of these two methods works.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
How did you get the socket to stay for the blinkers? Epoxy? Plastic weld?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I traced a dime where I wanted the bulb to sit, used my dremmel tool to cut it out and just little by little cut it out bigger so that the prongs on the socket would fit through the hole, then I epoxy'd the rubber o-ring from the socket to the tail light itself so now i still have the weather seal from the o ring but if the bulb burns out and can still pull the socket and change the bulb, fit's nice and snug but can still be removed.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I tried reversing the bulb then running a seperate ground and neither option made any difference. Would running a power wire from the front signal to the rear fix this?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
520 Posts
could you have wired the light and signal wires backwards at the rear socket?
Are the lights brighter then the blinker?
I can't see any pics in the write up you posted so it makes it a little harder to see.
It has to be something stupid right there since it's only 1 side doing it.
Try comparing it with the other side and look for differences.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the lights are all as they should be. Parking lights are dim till I step on the brake, the blinker is off till I activate it. I'll try and take a couple pics with the phone when I get a chance, probably tomorrow on my day off, I figure since its the ground it probably has to be the green power wire running the blinker but I can't figure out if its the harness near the socket or for some odd reason the harness where I spliced it behind the glove box at the GEM module.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
520 Posts
weird since it's only on 1 side.
I'm out of ideas. Not sure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, I'm stumped? I guess I'll take it all apart and redo the left side step by step again and see if maybe something is just lose somewhere and I get lucky. Dang it
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
"but as soon as I turn on the parking lights or headlights it starts blinking faster, the right signal works fine though through all this. Where should I start checking for problems? I'm lost as to why this is happening. "

What is throwing me is the headlight tie-in. But, just trying to be helpful. Do you know how the front turn signals work with the side marker lights?

Quickly. The side marker and front turn signal bulbs are wired in series. When you choose the parking light setting, they both glow. The turn signal works by applying battery between the 2 lamps, this causes the turn signal to glow brighter and turns off the side marker (no bat return). I am pretty sure this is true for all years focus. So, what your experiencing suggests a resistive ground. I.E. it's almost as if your grounding the series circuit through the headlight. This would lower the apparent resistance to the GEM turn signal module, thus causing the fast blink (indicating a bad turn signal bulb). Note: The headlights run on a completely diff circuit. So if your tied into them in some way, that may be your cause. Follow? What I would look for is this. A shared ground with the headlamp that is corroded to the point that a portion of the current is splitting off to the headlamp just enough to mess with the turn signal GEM module. The only visual indicator may be that the left side headlamp is slightly dimmer. It theoretically should blow the fuse, so apparently your not at threshold as yet. OK. That's my best reasoning here. Luck with it. [scratch]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
they aren't actually tied in to the head lights, I was thinking of trying that since everything else I have tried hasn't worked. It is stilled wired as it says to in the write up, but I have the fast blinker only when I have the parking lights on and the car is started. If I have it in the on position but not started with the parking and or headlights on it still works fine. I'm just trying to find out why it only blinker fast on the left side with the car started and parking/headlights on?
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 23 Posts