Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have figured out that my rear seats will lay flat if I can take out the headrests. Problem is I can't get them out, anyboby know how?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Same as the fronts. There's a tab on one side of the headrest. They're a real pain to get to, but it's possible.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There is a button on the inside headrest post hole. Depress it and the head rest will come out or up/down. I had to release and move forward the fold down seats to take them entirely off. I have a Titanium hatchback and mine will not lay flat.

I found that they block my view out of the sides and back, so I just left them off. I gusee I have an extra set if one of the front headrrests are dammaged.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
There is a button on the inside headrest post hole. Depress it and the head rest will come out or up/down. I had to release and move forward the fold down seats to take them entirely off. I have a Titanium hatchback and mine will not lay flat.

I found that they block my view out of the sides and back, so I just left them off. I gusee I have an extra set if one of the front headrrests are dammaged.
Ti hatch should lay flat. You do know to first pull up the rear bench right?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Right, we leave it up.
Snap a picture maybe? The only thing I can think of, is that if you have the handling package w/ full size spare... that raises the trunk floor up quite a bit, so the seats might be a few inches lower, but still laying flat.

In other words, they ARE flat, but not level with the trunk. Maybe that's it?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Checked, my 2012 Focus Titanium HB, once I pull the bottom bench forward, I can then flip the rear seats forward and down. If the front seats aren't too far back, I can leave the headrests on. Easier than fiddling with the headrests, but can be a wee bit annoying to find that sweat spot again. They do sit rather flat.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can you take the headrests out on the SE trim level?

Just wondering, I haven't even fooled around with lowering the back seats. I know I can't life the bench in my model, but that was less important than the better fuel economy rating in the SE.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yes you can completely remove any of the headrests.
Most have a visible push clip on one side AND a secret push clip opposite side.
I used the car key to push in the secret tabs in the round headrest base in the seat tops.
If you pull upward on the headrest, usually the one you released will not pop back to lock, and you can push in the second one.

I took out the three rear headrest altogether. (I never have anyone back there)
And have the passenger one out at present (if i was going to have a passenger i would put it back) to help reduce weight

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL. What are you 4 foot tall?? No way I can leave them in and have the front far enough back to drive. My tallish fat ass would never fit.

But thanks to you everyone else for the replies all I need now is to find the damn tabs

Checked, my 2012 Focus Titanium HB, once I pull the bottom bench forward, I can then flip the rear seats forward and down. If the front seats aren't too far back, I can leave the headrests on. Easier than fiddling with the headrests, but can be a wee bit annoying to find that sweat spot again. They do sit rather flat.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was able to remove the rear headrests pretty easily except for the little one in the center. I'm pretty tall, and have the driver's seat almost all the way back - with this I can't get the rear seatback to lay flat. But it's close - if I could remove the little center headrest I'd make it.

By the way I almost never have rear seat passengers so I just leave the big headrests off all the time. Much better visibility without them IMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can you take the headrests out on the SE trim level?

Just wondering, I haven't even fooled around with lowering the back seats. I know I can't life the bench in my model, but that was less important than the better fuel economy rating in the SE.
All 2012 Focus 60/40 split seats fold flat. I believe your SE should have 60/40 standard, so they should lay flat (to pull up the back seat there is not release tab/button, just grip them firmly and pull up).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got all three of mine out today. Turns out because the headrests were all the way down I couldn't move them up nor could I see the latched on the posts. Once I shoved my hands under them far enough I found the latch and up they came.

The center one was a bit more work, use the latch on the left (facing the rear of the car) and raise the headrests part way. If you look on the right side post there is another latch that you have to push in pull and hold that side up a fraction then release the left side again and pull it out.

I was able to remove the rear headrests pretty easily except for the little one in the center. I'm pretty tall, and have the driver's seat almost all the way back - with this I can't get the rear seatback to lay flat. But it's close - if I could remove the little center headrest I'd make it.

By the way I almost never have rear seat passengers so I just leave the big headrests off all the time. Much better visibility without them IMO.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I did my very first hand wash today since I have my SEL. Doing the inside, I wanted to remove the rear headrest. I was able to acheive removal of the left and right rear headrest, but when I tried to put them back on, I tried to have them ''locked'' a little higher, just for fun and see how it looked.

To my absolute dismay, they just dont lock in place !! I mean, I see the notches on the rods where the headrest is supposed to ''click'' but it doesnt !! And, in bonus, the whole rear left and right headrest assembly wobbles all over the place when its not all the way down. Do you guys have this issue also?

I can and will probably leave them in the lower position like they were in the first place but I am a bit disapointed about the quality of the rear headrest build.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I did my very first hand wash today since I have my SEL. Doing the inside, I wanted to remove the rear headrest. I was able to achieve removal of the left and right rear headrest, but when I tried to put them back on, I tried to have them ''locked'' a little higher, just for fun and see how it looked.

To my absolute dismay, they just don't lock in place !! I mean, I see the notches on the rods where the headrest is supposed to ''click'' but it doesn't !! And, in bonus, the whole rear left and right headrest assembly wobbles all over the place when its not all the way down. Do you guys have this issue also?

I can and will probably leave them in the lower position like they were in the first place but I am a bit disappointed about the quality of the rear headrest build.
The rear head rests are not height adjustable, they can only be removed or installed in their lowered position. Only the front head restraints can be adjusted for height, and on later job 2 builds (After mid April 2012), they were adjustable fore-aft by latching forward 10 clicks before returning to a vertical position.

There are only one set of notches, and are meant to lock the rear head restraints into position.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts