Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2012 Ford Focus with the DCT and it appears to be leaking a very small amount of oil from the rear main seal. I was just wondering if anyone could let me know if it will be covered under warranty (64k miles on car) if I take it to a dealership? From what I understand this could mean my clutches are contaminated with oil and would explain the sloppy behavior of my dct.

https://goo.gl/photos/P6wSUcbqxTRMs3GUA

Heres a pic, hopefully that link works for everyone.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Have you had your input shaft seals replaced with the updated ones yet? I'm asking because it's a 2012MY. If not I'm pretty sure that's DCT oil leaking and not engine oil. Either one will cause contaminated clutch linings however

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe they are the original but im not sure since I bought this car private seller back in December 2015. Is there a way to tell? I do know which dealership the original owner had it serviced at, im sure they have records but is there another way besides that?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Moved to the MkIII Problems section for the warranty question.

At 64,000 miles on the car a rear main seal is NOT covered by any warranty, power train expired at 60 thousand miles.

IF it's a transmission seal there IS an extended warranty offered that will cover it, you can see more details in the 14M01 thread stickied here.

I'm not positive exactly where they draw the line for warranty service of that, without any other issues a very small leak as described may not fall into a repair category.

Transmission repairs need to show certain symptoms and you haven't described anything in a manner that would get repair. "Sloppy feeling" is not a problem symptom on any typical list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts