Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both the rear struts (shocks) that hold up the rear hatch door of my 2012 focus have failed.

They are both leaking oil. The result is a very heavy rear door that will not stay opened.

I've not seen this on a modern car before.

Anyone else had this issue. I guess they won't be too difficult / expensive to replace ..... but still, not the best quality.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
They are 7 years old. Nothing lasts forever. Has the hatch been opened and closed a lot? Do you keep the car near the ocean, or in a very hot climate?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps I am asking too much for longevity. Yes the car is kept in a hot climate.

Looks like they won't be too bad to change. A few clips to undo.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had that happen on my old ‘05 XZ5. This was probably ten years ago & I just ordered them through the Ford Dealer & when I went to pick them up the tech guy offered to exchange them out for me. I’ve had no issues on my ‘13 Hatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Perhaps I am asking too much for longevity. Yes the car is kept in a hot climate.

Looks like they won't be too bad to change. A few clips to undo.
I haven't replaced them on my Focus yet but just did on my Suburban. All that was needed was a flat blade screwdriver to remove the clips to get the old ones out and the new ones snap into place without the need for any tools. The one thing that you may need is a helper or a piece of wood to prop the hatch open while you work on it. It helps to just replace one at a time if the old ones are still working at all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks. Sounds like an easy job. I'll definitely need to go for the wood / helper option as they have both failed at the same time.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Perhaps I am asking too much for longevity. ...
It's not unreasonable to expect them to last longer, but the engineers who designed the car were probably given a target for the total cost to manufacture it, and the requirement that parts like that just last past the warranty. Looks like they accomplished that, at least.

·
Registered
16,208 Posts
Order the OEM part, the aftermarket cannot make them to last as long as the OEM, maybe 2 years max and I saw a lot of them bad after one when I was in parts. Get lifetime warranty parts there, you will need the warranty at some point.

They have gone bad on every car I've had that used them but after many years, the ones I bought OTC died MUCH quicker. Luckily I got them cheap. Here in Texas the dirt and heat pretty much fail the seals to leak at some point.

On my wagon after 3rd set I simply made up a prop rod to hold the gate up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm away from home for a few days. I'm going to check the price from my local Ford dealer when I get back and compare with online prices and shipping times.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a 2001 Focus wagon. My struts went out about 4 years ago. I keep planning to replace them, but meanwhile I use one of my canes to prop it open. The rubber tip and rubber handle help prevent dislodging it.

When using a prop, remember to put it on the side opposite from where you're loading and unloading. Less likely to accidentally knock the prop out.
There are indentations on my wagon that make it easy to place a prop securely.

Just be reasonably cautious, you don't want that hatch falling on your head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got these from Amazon in the US for our 2005 ZX5 a couple of years ago and they are working quite well so far - amazon.com/gp/product/B00ELR3I5C

Initially they were too strong so the hatch would open too quickly but now have settled and work great.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Holy crap!! Ford, Thailand want $115 per side ..... $230 for a set of hatch supports!

Freaking madness. Sometimes I wonder why I moved here [facepalm].

I'll grab some from Amazon and wait a couple of weeks for shipping.

Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Order the OEM part, the aftermarket cannot make them to last as long as the OEM ..
Makes sense. The OEM parts have been designed to last for the length of the car's original warranty, but the aftermarket brands don't have to be that good. Even if they cost less than OEM they may not be worth it.

On my wagon after 3rd set I simply made up a ... prop rod to hold the gate up.
I liked the idea of adding gas struts in front to hold up the hood when some FFs started doing that, but decided to keep it simple instead. Sometimes simple is good (especially when being lazy happens).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I've seen this before. As someone else posted no part last forever. I replaced the tailgate struts on my 2007 Focus wagon last summer after experiencing the same symptoms you have. I purchased mine on eBay for $15. Previously, I replaced the tailgate struts in my 1989 Volvo wagon, again same symptoms.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts