Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm having issues unlocking the rear hatch on my 2000 SE Wagon. The key won't turn the lock no matter how many different combinations I try. It does work with when I use the button on the inside. I bought the car used and the guy seemed pretty honest about what he had replaced and what was original and he said the keys were original and never mentioned anything about the hatch. So I don't think its an issue with the key not matching the lock. Any suggestions about how to get that working?

Bonus Question:
Best place to tent in Flathead County, Montana in June?... I've got a road trip planned [burnout]

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Here are my ideas:

The hatch release went bad and was replaced, meaning you keys no longer match.

A key broke off inside the key hole so you keys aren't going in all the way. You can probably tell if the key doesn't look like it is going in right.

I don't know how likely this could happen but road grime may have gotten in the hole and seized up the inside. Maybe by spraying WD40 inside, you may loosen it up again.

·
FUBARCUS
7,763 Posts
Doesn't work on my hatchback either. I assume mine is seized due to never being used. I only tried it once, but mu guess is most people use the fob or the button inside and that means the key hole is never used. Grime builds up inside and just makes it stick closed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are my ideas:

The hatch release went bad and was replaced, meaning you keys no longer match.

A key broke off inside the key hole so you keys aren't going in all the way. You can probably tell if the key doesn't look like it is going in right.

I don't know how likely this could happen but road grime may have gotten in the hole and seized up the inside. Maybe by spraying WD40 inside, you may loosen it up again.
The key fits so its not a broken key, I'm going to try using some WE-40 when I get home from work. My only other idea I have is getting the lock rekeyed but its probably not worth the money

·
Registered
104 Posts
My lock works on my '03. Will your key turn the lock in either direction? If not, it's probably seized from not being used very often. Spray a little WD40 on your key and try it again to see if it'll loosen up.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Mines broke to, tried the wd40 bit and nothing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just purchased one that wasn't working and took it out and opened it up with a die-grinder, found a piece of plastic mechanism that was broken inside that releases the lock portion of the unit. This one wouldn't open with button or key, so sounds like a different problem you are experiencing. You can take the inside panel off and take the cable off the key-lock cylinder and check for cylinder rotation and rule out the keyed cylinder. If that turns without the cable hooked up, then the problem would have to be in the lock mechanism. Once I get a new one I'll try posting some pics of the inside of this one. Original owner said this one was bumped in the rear-end and ever since the hatch was almost impossible to open and about the same in closing. I had to pry the latch open a little to be able to get this one open. After realigning the post with the latch I'm pretty sure all I need is the latch mechanism that comes with the cable and electrical release. Just need to hunt one up now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Put the new latch assembly in and VIOLA everything works as it should, the key, the fob, the button on the dash, and the jar is adoor light is out too. Put a new resistor in for the blower motor also and have all 4 speeds.
I'll hack the rest of the plastic cover off the old latch assembly to get some pics to show what breaks off to cause total inop of the assembly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts