Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yes sorry. I'm currently at about 20 hours of work with the majority of that bring breaking down the quarter panel that the junkyard gave me. I threw most of it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks impressive, nice cuts. Looking forward to the welds, and then when it comes time for paint. I'm sure you'll do a helluva job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I cannot paint. I will be farming that out but will probably drop a layer of primer on just to hold rust at bay until I get it painted.
Do you want before pictures of my welds or just the finished product?

Edit: those of you that thought this was a complete loss, what are you thoughts now? Do you still think I should have walked away? Why or why not?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I cannot paint. I will be farming that out but will probably drop a layer of primer on just to hold rust at bay until I get it painted.
Do you want before pictures of my welds or just the finished product?

Edit: those of you that thought this was a complete loss, what are you thoughts now? Do you still think I should have walked away? Why or why not?
Very interested in your weld pics, and what welding method used.

Regarding how you spend your time, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.

I have experience, in 1990, owning a Salvage Title vehicle in Michigan (front end completely replaced on a 1989 Geo Spectrum). The car was cheap (I paid $3K cash) and did the job as transportation perfectly, could not tell it was clipped together. Funny thing the at home seller did not disclose it was repaired this way, and the title did not show it either. Several years down the line investigators visited me, and my vehicle, letting me know they were prosecuting the seller. They even had pics from the two wrecks. Don't know the legal outcome, but I sold it not long after for nearly what I bought it for with the title then recorded as salvage.

Now yours, as you claim, won't be salvage, which is great. You can use the car until the wheels fall off. Or if you sell, I don't think there will be any issues, even if you didn't disclose the accident and repair. They'd treat the clip as if a door was replaced. It's not like the powertrain was changed. Just do a good job welding it together and you ought to be fine.

I'm all for doing work myself when I can, and will farm out jobs I'm not equipped for. A few years back, my daughter ran another car still under payments without oil. Thought I could repair myself, but ended up sending it to the pros. That car is still running today.

My guess is most of the naysayers cannot do what you are doing, so hey, more power to you. Looking forward to your results.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I am using MIG with 0.030" solid core er70-6s sterl wire with 75% argon/ 25% co2 shielding gas. The welds are sort of a mixed bag currently as the thickness of the material, how much I have cleaned it, and the amount of wind is really giving me results all over the place. So if you think they look bad, they are, I know that and plan on cleaning it up better but I just wanted quick tacks for now that hold

I ended up having the cut some of the tracks I had made previously to get a better fit up and it ended up much better. I went to put the decklid on and it seems it's a tad tight by about 2mm on each side but I'm not extremely concerned about that as it's not done and it's just an initial fit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Unfortunately some of my welds didnt hold up and my welder crapped out before finishing but this is the progress I made today. Also I accidentally closed the trunk and it wont open now. Whoops

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm thoroughly impressed with this work, keep it up. Looks like it is coming together well. I've never attempted welding and probably too late to learn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Too bad I have to cut it all out and try again. The welds either sank the surrounding metal or had porosity because I ran out of argon.
On a positive note I got the trunk to latch and that it lines up with the body for the most part

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Even though you have to redo it, that's impressive work. Keep posting updates.

·
Registered
'13 hb 5 speed, cai, tom tune
4 Posts
Too bad I have to cut it all out and try again. The welds either sank the surrounding metal or had porosity because I ran out of argon.
On a positive note I got the trunk to latch and that it lines up with the body for the most part
Oh no, won't that thin the metal at the edges? Won't you have to use some body filler anyhow? A shame to undo that craftsmanship.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Oh no, won't that thin the metal at the edges? Won't you have to use some body filler anyhow? A shame to undo that craftsmanship.
No I will be cutting into clean metal. The only problem will be that the gap between the 2 panels will be larger which will be more difficult to weld.
If I had been able to weld it right the first time i wouldn't have needed any body filler (bondo). As it is I still might not need any filler.

Edit: Sorry I havent posted any picture updates. It's been super busy and I'm hoping to have it near complete by the end of today. I ordered some primer, paint, and clearcoat the other day to cover the welds so they dont rust until I get it ACTUALLY painted. I will try to get a few pictures up soon of where I'm at with the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I worked on my car for the past 2 days. The thing I'm running into is touching on the passenger side tail light with the decklid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I got a lot of work done but couldn't get many pictures. What I did get was priming and painting the trunk area.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts