Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you've lost your Focus (if you'll excuse the pun). There's a lot more to this repair than sweat, there are expensive parts to be purchased. When I lost my 2014 Focus to a rear-end with a Silverado, there was much less obvious damage than shown here--just a bent trunk lid that I had to flex to close and some broken plastic. The body shop calculated the cost and proceeded with the teardown. Then, they reported that the trunk pan was bent, putting the cost of repairs over 75% of the value of the car (a total is 75% in TN)--paid for by the other guy's insurance. I bought a 2018 Focus at Carmax, though I had to add some cash to the deal.

That brought home the principle of depreciation, a concept I've understood but never really worried about. Just buy a new car and run it 'til the wheels fall off--except when some idiot ruins your plan to ignore the car's declining market value. Sure, it's easy to fall in love with a car, especially a Focus, but face the financial realities. Time to say goodbye to an old friend.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got rear ended by a Ford explorer on the highway when the other driver was reaching for his phone on the floor.
Took it to a body shop which instantly said it was totalled.
I have worked in a body shop and dont agree with his assessment so will be doing the repairs myself. I found a car in a junkyard that's the same color with frontal damage. Anyway here's pics. View attachment 307947

·
Registered
53 Posts
I say, go for it. Try it this once and share with us your experience on whether it was worth the time and effort. Then if this ever happens to you again you will know the answer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Now you have to fix it.

Hell …….. take a sawzaw and get rid of everything from the back glass. Hit up the local pick and pull and splice a hatch back on her. Or really go crazy and make a truck bed back there …. maybe a rear soft top like a jeep...… the firs Focus convertible.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Got rear ended by a Ford explorer on the highway when the other driver was reaching for his phone on the floor.
Took it to a body shop which instantly said it was totalled.
I have worked in a body shop and dont agree with his assessment so will be doing the repairs myself. I found a car in a junkyard that's the same color with frontal damage. Anyway here's pics. View attachment 307947
Lost my 2006 ST to a hit and run driver in Newark NJ in May of 2017. Car had 250,000 miles on it and ran like a top. The body shop down there totaled it. Both fenders, front grill and bumper, radiator and hood were toast. Insurance company, Liberty Mutual, gave me $3250 for it plus 9 days of a rental car. I still miss that ST.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stick/Give to The Man,
go for it, be resourceful.

In a world of throw it away mentality,
and growing with less
workmanship, and less quality,
be more than a brain-washed consumer.

Re-invent, Re- create, Re-born
f*** AI and all the tools of society.
RESET THE WORLD

02 ZX5 246k in Northern New Jersey

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
They totaled my car for this but I'm cool with it, because I got $5,000 for a 10-year-old car with 123,000 mi on it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Look guys I know ots going to be a lot of work but I dont have much choice.
You're right that it might not be perfect and it might leak but even if that happens it will still be worth it as I'll have a driveable car.

I dont agree with the body shop saying it is 8k in damages, I would estimate closer to 3-4k.

I already found a junkyard that has my color car with a front end wreck that I am basically going to sawzall from quarter panel to quarter panel. If I cant get it perfect it will at least be serviceable.

But it WILL get fixed, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

FYI I'm not extremely attached to the car (it is a good car) but there isnt much of a choice. I either lose the cost of repairing it myself or the cost of the car AND the cost of a new one.

Edit: I was considering getting a slide hammer but was less sure about that piece of equipment than the others I ordered. Do you guys think that would be worthwhile?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Went to the junkyard and was able to grab a tail light, decklid, the plastic and trim, the crash bar, and the mounting plastic for the bumper cover. However the biggest thing of all..... they're going to cut the whole car in a quarter for me.
Even better? It all cost me only $450

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I figure that's a replacement passenger side rear quarter. Surprised it was chopped from the driver side. I mean wasn't it in one piece before? Why chop in multiple pieces? Following your efforts, and interested in your train of thought here.
That is the junkyard quarter that was cut for me. Both are passenger side. I'm not sure what else you're asking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is the junkyard quarter that was cut for me. Both are passenger side. I'm not sure what else you're asking?
Ok, I get it. You're only replacing the one side quarter. I was thinking the whole rear end would at least been a better option to keep symmetry. Just a thought. Good luck!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts