Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got rear ended by a Ford explorer on the highway when the other driver was reaching for his phone on the floor.
Took it to a body shop which instantly said it was totalled.
I have worked in a body shop and dont agree with his assessment so will be doing the repairs myself. I found a car in a junkyard that's the same color with frontal damage. Anyway here's pics.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
For the value of that vehicle insurance would definitely totally it.

I received $5,000 for my 2010 just last month. Your damage is much much worse.

Good luck with it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
At this point it becomes a question of how much you like this car and how much is it worth to you. If buyback and repairs are less than the payout and you want to do the work, go for it. If not, its ok to let it go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was not insured and the collision shop estimated repairs at $8k. They inflated the estimate with things that were undamaged so I have no intention of letting them touch it. Here's pics of disassembly

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Good luck to you never drive a vehicle without insurance ever.

Is the person that hit you not at fault or did you just say hey man I don't have insurance .

·
Registered
16,715 Posts
X2, a hit from the rear is typically the person in the rear's fault in court.

You may have done body work but getting trunk opening back right will still be a work of art. If you can fix what I did at $5400 estimate to get by for $600 you can likely do it, but I purposefully bit off mine because it had no major structural issues, most were simple bolt on. Mine's been back running since '08.

You got a quarter there and the opening as major challenges.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in michigan where fault doesnt matter as far as insurance cares.
Sorry let me clarify, I had insurance but I didnt have collision.
It is going to be some work but nothing I cant handle. I'll try to post pics as I go along fixing it

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I don't see your car's year, but I see you joined in 2014. If your car is that old, I can see why they'd total it with quarter damage. I had similar damage on an Accord years ago, and it was $8K+.

If you can fix that mess yourself (at home?), you have serious skills.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dump it and get another one. These are never going to be classic cars that appreciate significantly... and you are now sporting a salvage title. With the amount of labor and parts you are going to pour into it... you can find one for less. As stated above it is not going to be a pull and replace job. If you can get that truck to actually close with spending less than 40 man hours on it... you will be my hero.

My was totaled for much less damage to the rear. I pulled the motor/Transmission/hood/ and all bolt on parts and just scrapped the rest. I found a awesome 2011 with all the bells and whistles … and now I have a spare everything.

If the air bags went off …… which I assume they did with that much damage ….. no insurance will want to touch it.

·
Registered
16,715 Posts
X2 to the last sentence, they WANT the cars junked once the bags all go off, it stops liability issues later.

One reason my repair was so cheap was I did not bring the bags back online, just put the OEM covers back in place. The car will go to a scrapyard and never be sold to anyone else so no trouble there, it simply is a car with no bags.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1. Cars year is 2016 with 28k miles on it. I still owe $6700 on it
2. I absolutely believe I can fix this
3. It does NOT have a salvage title as insurance will not be notified
4. Airbags were not deployed
5. Hmmm not sure I can do it in 40 man hours but we will see. I dont typically track my own man hours for these kinds of things but it WILL get fixed. I dont have much choice
Edit: 6. Oh the trunk with 40 man hours. I didnt understand that because it said truck. Oh the trunk I can totally do under 40 man hours. The whole job under 40 man hours is a no go I think

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Thank you for reminding me of why not to live in Michigan. That is a incredibly dumb law somebody is always a fault in an accident.

In North Carolina you must have full coverage on anything you owe money on. This includes your home and your vehicle. You don't even have the title of the car until it is paid in full.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thank you for reminding me of why not to live in Michigan. That is a incredibly dumb law somebody is always a fault in an accident

In North Carolina you must have full coverage on anything you owe money on. This includes your home and your vehicle. You don't even have the title of the car until it is paid in full.
Same as Illinois. My neighbor's 1 week old truck got totaled in Michigan a few months ago and the no-fault crap was a slap to his face.

·
Registered
218 Posts
1. Cars year is 2016 with 28k miles on it. I still owe $6700 on it
2. I absolutely believe I can fix this
3. It does NOT have a salvage title as insurance will not be notified
4. Airbags were not deployed
5. Hmmm not sure I can do it in 40 man hours but we will see. I dont typically track my own man hours for these kinds of things but it WILL get fixed. I dont have much choice
Edit: 6. Oh the trunk with 40 man hours. I didnt understand that because it said truck. Oh the trunk I can totally do under 40 man hours. The whole job under 40 man hours is a no go I think

As I have stated before.... we wonder why their are so many personnel injury attorneys.
You are not doing anything wrong or illegal …. and some asshat rear ends you. You are now out $6,700 do to someone else's incompetence. The only way to recoup any loses is to go a ambulance chaser and claim an injury . Total bullshit!!

I'm not sure how you financed the ride without full coverage? Most lenders require full coverage so they will not be the ones getting screwed in this exact situation.

I had something similar happen to me 3 years ago. I was driving to work on our great highways here in Atlanta. The guy in front of me decided to brake check me going 25mph. I didn't even see him hit the brakes since I was trying to merge to the right. He was driving some 1999 Isuzu rodeo with the spare tire carrier in the rear and it crunched the hood/ plastic throttle body/radiator/ and grill. All it did to his ride was dent his spare tire carrier. I only had PIP... and it was totally my fault... so I repaired all the damage on my dime ….. while the Isuzu driving ass filed an insurance claim against my insurance to get his spare tire carrier replaced... I even tried to talk the guy into letting me just fix it or pay for the part.

Best of luck … and I feel your pain.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok so working in a Factory and especially a body shop please do NOT waste your time...

You will never get that trunk sealed correctly and every time it rains or snows and thaws you will have a swimming pool in your spare tire carrier.

I've been to dozen of salvage rebuild auctions where I've had to take cars to a carwash to prove my point and when we're done we open the trunk and its full of water.

Just fight to get it paid off and walk away now before you waste months learning you failed

·
Registered
156 Posts
The insurance company was right to total it, but if you can do the work yourself at your leisure, why not fix it and drive it until it dies? Find a good donor car in the junkyard and start cutting. Just make sure to reinforce everything so it doesn't tear in half a few years from now! Obviously, don't try to sell it without disclosing this.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts