Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Focus wagon SE, when I drive on the highway or in town, the ass end seems to sway or jerk when I hit some rough patches. Ford says everything is good but it just doesn't seem normal to me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I get the same thing. I was under the impression this was due to the big sway bar Ford uses in the back. How is your tire pressure? Your car could possible need an alignment, have it checked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tire pressure great I check regularly... hate buying gas for nothing lol. Car is aligned have no trouble on straight can let go of the steering without any left or right travel

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, the part of the alignment that could have to do with your problem is the thrust angle. Your car might drive straight but if your front alignment counters the rear's....just saying.

Whens the last time your car was aligned? Should be once a year at least. All 4 corners have adjustments so its normal for it to be out of spec.

Si t'as b'soin d'une shop, y'en a plein dans le coin de Laval, sur Chomedey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alignment done last year, i'll have it checked again, maybe change the bushings just for the hell of it. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a common or big problem. Thanks for the help !! Justement probleme en montant a sherb sur la 10!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Don't start replacing things. The roads here are complete crap and I can tell you my car does the same thing. I think its a design flaw but throw some corners in and then this car becomes unbelievable.

Worry less and drive more!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Worn or age deteriorated bushings cause NASTY loose feeling from the rear end.

With all the links involved, any that are 'Wiggly" when subjected to cornering forces can cause a VERY unsettling feeeling in the "seat of the pants" feel of the car..

It's the MOST common issue when the rear end feels "loose" when cornering....

Check 'em out CLOSE - unfortunately, there is NO repair other than new arms, as the bushings are not replaceable except by poly bushings for performance applications...

On the other hand, new arms aren't that expensive, labor is the major expense - so get out the wrenches or find a cheap helper....

(grin)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered new links, getting them tonight, was laying under the car and had a friend push from side to side, looks like there is a little play, so i'll go ahead and change. Also need to find a new ford dealer, car was inspected 2 months ago and everything was ok. I've already had to replace front rotors pads and links which is an easy enough job when I have the time but damn, I bring it to ford so they check everything, at least they could check!

Thanks for all the info guys!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Agreed.

If there is VISIBLE play, the suckers are SHOT, since the forces involved while driving are MUCH higher than bare hands can apply....

Luck! - think you found the problem, even though the "Dealer" couldn't.....

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
can you post up what your last alignemnt specs were.
the Focus spec is too broad, and it could be "on spec" but still make handling sketchy.

in particular i'm curious about your rear toe. too much rear toe in can make the car do as you describe as well as worn bushings the others mentioned (I've had both situations in my car)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
X2 - there are specs. here in the "wheels,tires, Brakes" section.

As WELL as a method you can use AT HOME to set it right....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts