Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my 03 Focus. It all started a few weeks ago when I was pulling out of a Wal-Mart parking lot. While gently applying brakes to slow down, I heard/felt a loud bang and the rear driver side wheel was locked up (tire squealed of course). I managed to get it unlocked by 'pumping the e-brake and the brake pedal. It hasn't happened since. However, I am now facing another issue. In the mornings when it's cool (50-60 degrees) and dewy outside, the same brake drum is locked up and only 'unsticks' after driving for a while. Of course, there is a lot of heat and burning smell coming from the drum. Once everything is warmed up and it's dry outside, I do not have this issue. This has become a daily routine when I leave for work early in the morning. I have had this car for 3 years and have put around 30k miles on it since. I have not had the brakes serviced yet and the front pads have NOT been worn down to the point of damaging the front rotors...yet. I am going to be changing the front pads today but still wondering about the rear brakes. I really have no experience with working on drum brakes so I'm not sure what to do or expect. Any advice?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I'm guessing right now (as it's something that needs to be looked at).....but since you say it released while playing with the parking brake, I'd focus on the parking brake linkage/mechanism (aka adjuster bar) inside the drum (follow the brake cable, the end of it is attached to the linkage/adjuster I'm referring too). Sounds like its not fully releasing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts