Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title states, I have a squeak coming from my rear drums. Whenever I release the brake, I can hear a squeak coming from them. It only happens when sitting still or at very low speeds (below 15-20 mph). It squeaks no matter how quickly I release the brake as well. Fast or slow, same squeak when the pedal is almost completely released. It still does it no matter how long or hard I have been driving. It's fairly loud that I can even hear it when I have all the windows up. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Its a focus thing. But, if you lube all the contact points in the rear drums, it goes away.
I did it when I changed the brake shoes in the drums, and it worked wonders.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been reading up on all the drum squeal threads and it seems like most people have the squeal/squeak while applying the brakes at low speeds, not when releasing them like I am experiencing.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
It would be the same kind of deal. Plus, mine used to do the same thing also.
Here's what it looks like inside the drums:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to be a pain in the ass, but could you mark that first photo to show me what points I need to lubricate? I have never done a drum brake job before.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
The contact points are near the top and bottom of each brake shoe.
Once you open the drums up and have a look, its very obvious where they'd make contact.
Make sure not to get any lube on the brake pad's themselves.
That could negatively effect the effectiveness of the brake shoes.
I also put some on the springs, especially where they loop through the holes in the brake shoe assemblies.
Before you put on any lube make sure you spray everything down with brake cleaner, and let it dry.
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
I learned a lot from my first hand experience with changing my brakes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a similar sound from engaging my parking brake and always assumed it was the "Focus rear drum issue"

Does anyone know if this is true

1 - 10 of 10 Posts