Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night i got into town and noticed my rear passenger side drum was making a really nasty grinding noise. Usually it means it's time for new brakes,but i got them changed not that long ago. It gets louder the faster i go. It'll stop a little when i break. It literally sounds like metal grinding on metal.What can it be??

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Educated guess...wheel bearings are a likely candidate.
Jack the rear of the car up and spin the wheel by hand. Look for wobbles/noise/grinding sounds. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and wiggle; you shouldn't see any slop. If your bearing is that noisy, problems should be obvious. Next step would be to remove the wheel and drum and inspect if the bearing appears OK.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i moved the car forward and reverse,and the noise isn't loud anymore. i hear just a little noise,but it's not as loud.i will lift the rear up and do like you said

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check all the wheel bearings threads, including a current one, on the Wheels, Tires and Suspension thread. Sounds like bearings.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
OR, to put in another possibility, with a recent brake job something MAY have let loose - like a brake shoe retainer....

IF the bearings are OK (another issue that often crops up after a brake job) that's where I'd look...

Luck!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
OR, to put in another possibility, with a recent brake job something MAY have let loose - like a brake shoe retainer....

IF the bearings are OK (another issue that often crops up after a brake job) that's where I'd look...

Luck!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I agree with Sailor, I think you lost a hold down spring on one of the shoes, or something similar. That will make a hellacious noise as the side of the shoe rubs against the inside of the drum. Remove drum soon, the easiest way to do it is to remove the 4 bolts holding the spindle in place, and the drum will come off with the spindle. If you have lost a hold-down spring, you'll be able to see it missing from the back plate. Those are the little springs that go through the shoes on the lower side of each drum. If you see an open hole in one of those- then that's where your spring came loose, and you lost the pin. A new drum brake hardware kit would solve the problem- about $10. I don't think you can purchase the spring and retainer without it.

You'll have some issues removing the drum if the spring broke, so don't be surprised if you have to hammer it and the spindle off. Just make sure the e-brake isn't what's holding it on. OOOOOo that's another one that could be messed up- if the E-brake cable wasn't installed correctly on one side then it can come loose from the shoe and rub on the drum. That would make some noise too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i lifted the car up, and the wheel doesnt wobble, but when i spin the tire with my hand it makes a noise,a lighter grinding noise. One of my dads friends is going to check it out tomorrow he has knowledge on breaks. If not, i will take it to a shop on monday while i attend class.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Be sure to tell him how I said to remove the drum. If he tries to remove the drum in the old typical method the nut that holds the drum on requires like 200 ft-lbs of torque instead of the 35 ft-lbs to remove those bolts I mentioned. Tell him this: look on the backing plate and remove the 4 bolts that go through the backing plate. One bolt will be slightly difficult to get to, maybe need a wobble joint, but it's much easier than removing the nut that holds the spindle to the drum. Tell him we said it was like removing VW Bug brakes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be sure to tell him how I said to remove the drum. If he tries to remove the drum in the old typical method the nut that holds the drum on requires like 200 ft-lbs of torque instead of the 35 ft-lbs to remove those bolts I mentioned. Tell him this: look on the backing plate and remove the 4 bolts that go through the backing plate. One bolt will be slightly difficult to get to, maybe need a wobble joint, but it's much easier than removing the nut that holds the spindle to the drum. Tell him we said it was like removing VW Bug brakes.
thanks for the advice man!! we removed the four bolts in the back and when we opened it one of the springs had came loose. It was even "sanded" down a little from how bad it was rubbing the drum. It was a quick fix.but getting the four bolts aligned with the holes was the tougher part,since we just had it jacked up and uncomfortable positions.glad it's now fixed though! thanks for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts