Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group,

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 hatchback. Just noticed rear driver door is not locking. The power remote does nothing, and the manual lock on the door seems to be jammed.

If I lock it by moving the locking mechanism on the side of the door I can unlock it with the interior door handle so I know the cable there is connected.

I've read about problems with the latching mechanism, but I don't have the problem, the door closes just fine. It just won't lock.

Any ideas?

I can't get on the forum often so private emails are welcome at [email protected]

Thank you,

Max

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Still probably latch, it also includes the locking motor action inside it along with the actual latching (closing) mechanism.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Seen a thread here with recent posts that included a TSB on inside latch rod interference making locking hard/impossible. Search for that one if interested.

"locking mechanism on side of door" confuses me, are you talking about the child latch key operated item? When activated that should prevent opening with the interior handle (to keep them from opening the door/falling out), unrelated to locking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"locking mechanism on side of door" confuses me, are you talking about the child latch key operated item? When activated that should prevent opening with the interior handle (to keep them from opening the door/falling out), unrelated to locking.
No, the child proof lock is working fine.

I can open the door with both the outside door handle and inside handle. Enabling the child proof mechanism on the door disables the inside door handle as it should.

So opening and closing the door is fine. When I try to lock the door with the remote I cannot hear the actuator working on this door, nor can I manually lock it from the inside, the plastic piece you flip to lock it on the inside feels jammed, it will not move at all.

So I am linking a linkage issue. But would this also stop the power actuator from working?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Max-

I have a 05 ZX4 and the right rear just did the same thing. I removed the latch assy. And found it was “jammed” in the unlock position. A gentle pry with a screw driver released it. I hosed it with brake clean spray, let it dry, and then lubed it good with spray white lithium grease. So far so good!

Hope this helps-
Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Steve,

I've worked on the front door when the outside handle broke. How does the back door work compare?

Much involved? Does the whole latching assembly need to be removed?

Max

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy to report door lock is functioning again. Removed the latching mechanism from the door an coated it in lithium grease. Let it sit and then tried the locks. No go. Noticed there was a pin stopping the locking mechanism from moving, pried it with the screwdriver and it moved back in to place. Door now locks and unlocks freely.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts