Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone has changed their non-SVT focus to disc brakes in the rear?? I am looking to see if there is a way to do it without spending over a thousand on a brake conversion kit. I know the cougar uses the same bolt pattern as the focus and it has disc brakes stock in the rear. Is there a way to use that setup and put it on the focus? Suggestions are definitely needed at this point.

Thanx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check out B.A.T. Inc. They have a full conversion kit for $895.00. This includes 12" slotted rotors, calipers, hubs, brake lines, the works.
I'd call these guys first to see if this kit can be used if your car has ABS.
Good luck

·
Registered
838 Posts
I am looking to do the same thing bro, let me know what you find. I really hate drum brakes one of the few things I don't like about the focus.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
if you get traction control as an option on your focus, you get disc brakes, pretty positive. so picking up the parts off an old beater at a junk yard and swapping onto your own focus shouldn't be too costly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scironzts said:
if you get traction control as an option on your focus, you get disc brakes, pretty positive. so picking up the parts off an old beater at a junk yard and swapping onto your own focus shouldn't be too costly.
I have never seen a focus with disc brakes other than the ST cars and the SVT. That doesnt mean that they dont exist but I was never offered any option of traction control and from what I understand the focus has an automatic traction control that keeps wheel spin down. I an not sure about this though.

I am hoping that its not too hard to swap the parts. I have looked at the cougar rear end and the focus rear end and they are a lot alike so it might work. I will keep everyone posted if and when I get a chance to do it.

Thanx
Oompa

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah the traction control definitely includes rear discs, it'll be hard to find one in a junk yard though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What about PZEV? I don't think you can get traction control with it.
Anyway, it's a great topic, I was just browsing the web today looking for the better brakes (I have a PZEV with no ABS). If the whole thing is just $895 it would be a good value.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2003 ZTS is equipped with traction control and it does not have rear disc brakes. The advance-trac system does not have rear disc brakes, either.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have contemplated the rear disk conversion too, but the near $900 price tag is too much for me. However, I did see a cheesy alternative. I was looking through the Focus Fanatic magazine and noticed a car with rear disk dummies. It is a cross drilled disk (probably like a 5mm spacer) that sits between the rim and drum. It looks better than a drum but cheesy in concept. I figure if I put those on my car, I will buy the fake turbo noise maker for $200.

This is just an idea.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What about swapping the rear discs, calipers, etc. from a 2003 ZX3 (or ZX5) SVT? Is this possible? Since these cars are brand new, I don't think anything will be available in the junk yard. But would it be cost-effective to buy the necessary parts brand new? I want to get rid of the rear drums, but $900 for Batinc's conversion kit is too rich for my blood. Any thoughts/ideas?

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Traction control does add the rear disc brakes but TC isnt available with the PZEV engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2002 zts with abs and it has drums on the rear. The Ford Motor Co. has never been one to put 4 wheel disc on a car. I had a 2000 Tarus SEL with all the trimmings or so I thought. No rear discs! I later found out that if I had gotten the trailer towing package, I would not only got rear discs but dual exhaust as well. Ford likes to change parts during a production run in mid year (for example: mid 2002 shifter change 5 speed Focus). I know that some ZX2's came with rear discs but, not anymore and this car hasn't changed much since it's inception. Some Contour's (v6 models) also came with rear discs. I would bet these would work on the Focus. Try car-part.com to find Focus SVT assm., or Contour parts. planetperformace.com also sells a kit (new) for 798.99.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The parts from ford are about 1200 dollars at the dealer i went to you are better off buying the rear disc conversion and front upgrade from bat inc or some other people out there that have the kit. Not really worth it unless your into racing or auto cross but if i had the money i would do it too just for looks. But then again if i had the money i proly woudlnt have my focus

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
When we bought our ztw I really wanted rear discs! The only way to get them was with TCS and Abs, which I did not want.
As far as I know the svt stuff will bolt up, the wheels will fit and you need the brackets from what I can see. Somebody on here has had to have done this already?? Anyone?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts