Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there knows if the rear disc brake assembly from a newer Cougar will work to replace my sucky rear drums. Or one from a Contour? I can get a cheap assembly from a local junkyard. Thanks for your help.

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
No on both vehicles...if it was as easy as that a lot more people on here would have rear discs.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No on both vehicles...if it was as easy as that a lot more people on here would have rear discs.
A little more detail as to why they would not work would be appreciated because they look to be pretty much the same.

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
hmmm a friend of mine has a cougar and a svt contour. i guess i should take a look at em and see.

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
what are the differences?
A little more detail as to why they would not work would be appreciated because they look to be pretty much the same.
The only things that the Focus has in common with those cars is the bolt pattern of the wheels (there are other similarities in the cars, just not the suspension). Anyway, asking if you can fit Cougar brakes to the Focus is like asking whether you can fit Mustang brakes to the Focus, they are just different cars that use different parts...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only things that the Focus has in common with those cars is the bolt pattern of the wheels (there are other similarities in the cars, just not the suspension). Anyway, asking if you can fit Cougar brakes to the Focus is like asking whether you can fit Mustang brakes to the Focus, they are just different cars that use different parts...
Sorry to resurrect this tread from the dead but a lot of cars have a lot of the same parts and they interchange for year to year and model to model. cougar to focus is no where near the jump as mustang to focus cougar to focus = fwd to fwd and mustang to focus = rwd to fwd and that is just nuts to think that that would work.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If nobody's actually checked, then we should. I put a LOT of late 70s and early 80s ford parts on my 67 Mustang when I built it. They probably aren't the same part, but that's the point. Maybe they can fit with just a little help. One custom bracket may or may not cost less than a whole brake setup.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If nobody's actually checked, then we should. I put a LOT of late 70s and early 80s ford parts on my 67 Mustang when I built it. They probably aren't the same part, but that's the point. Maybe they can fit with just a little help. One custom bracket may or may not cost less than a whole brake setup.

things are were alot simpler back then. Much more mechanic/junkyard friendly. Granada brakes onto a 67 mustang ended up being cheaper than my CAI and a bigger enjoyment. I'm about done on the focus modding, and then its back to my old RWD beauty.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Coming from someone who owns both:

The Cougar/Contour has a different rear suspension setup. It uses a macpherson strut with 2 lower control arms and a lateral link. The caliper bolts directly onto the knuckle, so to use Cougar brakes, you will need the knuckle, too. The problem occurs in that the Focus uses a shock absorber and a coil spring separately, and a totally different control arm setup. They are not even close to being interchangeable.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You can use SVT Cobra breaks on your Focus as well... all you need is an adapter for the caliper.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Coming from someone who owns both:

The Cougar/Contour has a different rear suspension setup. It uses a macpherson strut with 2 lower control arms and a lateral link. The caliper bolts directly onto the knuckle, so to use Cougar brakes, you will need the knuckle, too. The problem occurs in that the Focus uses a shock absorber and a coil spring separately, and a totally different control arm setup. They are not even close to being interchangeable.
Thank you very much i wanted someone to tell me this that actually knew what they were talking about. I didn't want to waste my time on it if it wasn't going to work. Thanks for your input so now i guess i'm back to looking at focus's getting parted out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts