Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, don't flame me if this has been post'd before... i looked but didn't find any references....

We had our first frost last night here in northern n.y. and so i got to try out the heated seats, rear defrost, etc. for the first time.

I find that, compared to my old focus, the rear defrost is quite weak and takes forever to remove just a little bit of frost. All the elements are working, u can see that, but in over 10 minutes of operation the window stayed mostly frosted.
My older focus cleared that in just a couple minutes (I also miss having a rear wiper as i got the sel sedan and not the hatch, damn)

Does anyone else feel the rear defrost is a bit weak?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
We've had a couple of frosts over on this end of NY as well recently and I have noticed the same. Compared to my last car, which cleared the window quite nicely, this one is weak. I can see all the the elements are fine as well but it just doesn't seem to put out a lot of power.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't had to use mine yet in southeast MI. How well did the front defrost work?
the front worked just fine, but the rear seems very weak and ineffective....
my old focus cleared heavy frost and snow off in a matter of a few minutes.
not this focus, tho. :(

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Haven't had to use mine yet in southeast MI. How well did the front defrost work?
While the rear defrost is worse than my old car, the front is better. It is also nice to be able to hit one button for maximum front defrost and then simply hit it again when I am done and have all my auto-climate settings resume.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Used my rear defrost this moring, it seemed ok, but then I was scraping off 2 cars, so I guess I really didn't notice the time frame, pretty sure it wasn't more than a few minutes between cars and the rear window was defrosted.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The rear defroster sucks. We've had a cold december (50% of days below 0° C) Its been -27 C (-15 F) the last couple mornings. In 30 minutes of driving it managed to melt very thin lines of snow that then form into Ice and make the problem worse.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yup same problemo here. Up to about -10 to -15c the rear defroster is ok, rear defroster definitely requires cleaning before hand and the wiper (hatch). Beyond -15 the rear defroster can barley warm things up, causes streaking as the snow builds up.

·
Eh!
11,225 Posts
My rear defroster works pretty great, especially in combination with the rear wiper.
And it's been around -20C here lately.

·
Eh!
11,225 Posts
Yup same problemo here. Up to about -10 to -15c the rear defroster is ok, rear defroster definitely requires cleaning before hand and the wiper (hatch). Beyond -15 the rear defroster can barley warm things up, causes streaking as the snow builds up.
pull the wiper away from the car before it snows.

·
Registered
168 Posts
pull the wiper away from the car before it snows.
That would only help for the initial ice on the blade. Cleared off all of the snow or ice before I drive off, new snow and ice build up after the fact on snowy days. If it is not snowing, things are ok, just the rear defroster does not keep up, even with a new blade when it is snowing. Deal with a streaky windshield at best (yes, plenty of washer fluid, cleaned before).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mine is pretty weak too compared to our Taurus and my old Saturn. But it works okay. Car does take a smidge longer to warm up than my old car, too.

·
Eh!
11,225 Posts
That would only help for the initial ice on the blade. Cleared off all of the snow or ice before I drive off, new snow and ice build up after the fact on snowy days. If it is not snowing, things are ok, just the rear defroster does not keep up, even with a new blade when it is snowing. Deal with a streaky windshield at best (yes, plenty of washer fluid, cleaned before).
Definitely helps period.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another reason why I wish I had a garage, or even room to build a garage! :(

Although, I've had a few snows and even ice and have yet to use my defroster. [no flame]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts