Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a wannabe Focus owner. Looked at an '04 5 speed wagon the other day. Interior and most of the exterior look good, but, the rockers are rusty and underneath, there is a rear suspension crossmember that is rusted badly. Infact, it rusted through and somebody tacked a piece of steel to it as a temp fix.

The seller says that he has looked into getting the part replaced and has heard estimates of 6-700 bucks.

Does this sound about right? If I can get it cheap enough, it might be worth it. It has the 2.3 engine with the timing chain and 140K on the clock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am kinda leaning that way. I really don't have the time to tackle the job myself and it probably isn't worth paying someone. I can't imagine that anyone who knows what he is doing would tackle it for less than a grand. Probably quite a bit more.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Unless you want a project and get it real cheep, like under $800 I would pass it up.

I purshased a 02 wagon sept 2011 with 5 speed and 140k $1800. Looked good drove and ran awsome.
Got it home and durring first oil change looked good under it and found hole in frame near engine cradle mount ($300 repair at frame shop). Found the rockers were toasted front to rear and the temp fix looked awsome for the first 3 months I had it. After removal of blow foam and duct tape I fixed with fiberglass. Next issued was rotted rear bumper that also got to the body itself. More time and money. I did the welding and repair myself on this one.
11 months and 20k later I sold it for $700. And the other side of the engine cradle needed repair at that point.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Such is the life of New England beater owner. As badly as the crossmember is rotted, I am sure there are other surprises.

I think we should move to Arizona!

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Such is the life of New England beater owner. As badly as the crossmember is rotted, I am sure there are other surprises.

I think we should move to Arizona!
naw, just import your cars from there [;)]

Surface rust is expected but not holes... Even though it does have the rare 2.3l, it could potentially have other surprises too. I doubt you will see another wagon with a 2.3l though... If you can live with the 2.0, i bet you can find an 05-07 in better shape/less rust if you are patient

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My number 1 priority is mileage/dependability. I assume the 2.3 is the hot rod of the bunch. How does it do mileage/dependability wise?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
As you look for other possibilities, the 2.3 duratec avail. in '03-'04 & the 2.0 version '05-'06 in the Wagon are good choices for mileage/dependability.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
My number 1 priority is mileage/dependability. I assume the 2.3 is the hot rod of the bunch. How does it do mileage/dependability wise?
both motors are fairly dependable (duratecs are 03-07 2.3l and all 05-11 2.0's, no wagon after 07 though) but better mileage would be the 2.0 and the car isnt too hard to work on for simple jobs

Check out the fueleconomy.gov for more:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=19915&id=22872&id=22759&id=22758
2.3 wagon compared to 2.0 wagon
2.3 sedan compared to 2.0 sedan

http://www.fuelly.com/ can also give you an idea of mpg. In my 2.0 5sp doing mostly city driving, i tend to be high 20's. With winter gas and cold temps, i see mids to sometimes low 20's. All highway I saw 34mpg this summer on back to back tanks. Mixed driving (which i rarely do) im generally closer to 30-31

1 - 10 of 10 Posts