Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this isn't in the right place, enlighten me.

Basically I was just wondering if there was any kind of mod, upgrade, or replacement of the rear control arms. There's nothing wrong with mine, but yknow... It is one of the more visible things from the back. [thumb]

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
^^^ive seen aftermarket ones made but it eliminates the rear springs which is kind of scary and pointless if you ask me....you can upgrade the trailing arm bushings....cant see those from the rear though.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh wow.... missed that completely. oops. thanks for the reminder email, lol.

wow yeah seems like it would be a rough ride..... was just curious though, like I said, mine are fine.... bushings are an idea though [:)]

·
Registered
774 Posts
If there is nothing wrong with them, but they are getting a little ugly from wear, you could wire brush them, paint with a foam brush a coat of Klean Strip Ruster Converter then a coat of semi gloss black enamal paint. probably would take you an hour to do it right. I've done mine a few times. It keeps it looking factory fresh under there. Easier to work on stuff too when you don't have rust falling into your eyes.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Rear sway bar is all kinds of visible from the rear and so are the endlink bushings. Not only will it look good, it'll feel good too. My Eibach bar came in red and I think the progress 22mm bar comes in some sort of blue'ish color? Either way, you can paint the bar to whatever color you like.

If you don't have a rear sway, I would look at going that way. But if you are on the stock springs I wouldnt go crazy on the size. Get a 22mm or something like that.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
If you go to the dealer section I believe HTP performance makes adjustable ones that are redish and pretty inexpensive.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Older progress bars were a light blue/teal color, the newer ones are all grey and come with black endlink bushings so you can't really see them too well from the back. Don't mind the hanging exhaust heat shield, i bent it back up there, lol...

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ nice..... so does that progress bar replace the control arms, or did we just get pushed into sway bars? either way, to respond to sleestak, I plan on getting the SVT kit, so yay, it comes with a form of sway bar :)

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

picture's a bit dark......just took it a minute ago, but they look different from what I thought they did, lol.... but still will demonstrate the point....

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh ok, here's a better picture. I don't see how a little plate would reinforce the bars though, unless i'm missing something. definitely a good idea though, if I'd be taking them off anyway, like you said [:)]

now you can see them a little better......guess I'm just used to looking at them extended out (as on the lift) so I thought they looked different, lol. oooh look at all that red southern Utah sand on there....and probably some rust. lol. definitely a good time to paint when I get the kit probably the same time, next year.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
That little plate is what keeps the RLCA from literally breaking in two pieces. With a much stiffer sway bar, it puts a lot more stress on the control arm, right where the sway bar mounts, causing it to twist and crack. If you go further through that thread I posted, you'll see where some have welded in thick plates, and drilled a hole for the sway bar to mount. You'll have to take the arm off first.

But like MSC said, you could take it off, strip it good, weld the plate in, then take it in to have powder coated bright red. Get a bright red sway bar and you'll have all sorts of awesome high-performance looking redness under there.

·
Registered
626 Posts
isnt cfm working on some rear control arms???? im planning on getting the steeda bar so im kinda interested also

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
isnt cfm working on some rear control arms???? im planning on getting the steeda bar so im kinda interested also
ooh that would be pretty cool if they did [thumb]

·
Registered
626 Posts
yea i think in the thread saying that they have fronts mentioned about rears in progress.... im soo getting them...

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oooh yeah, foci have front ones too, right? or am I just going WTF?? lol. (no that did not, and was not intended to, make sense [thankyou])

·
Registered
573 Posts
Im going to put a swaybar on mine some Day I was thinking on puting a piece of square tubing into the control arm and using two bolts going all the way through it and then welding the bolts in and the tubing and drilling it for the bar connection point so it can bolt up this should be able to be done on the car without taking off the control arms and then finishing out with a good paint.

·
Registered
626 Posts
no didnt make much sense at all but as long as u know wat ur talking bout...
you should look into the fronts... supposed to help out pretty good.. i want em at least

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok what I meant to ask was......and I didn't cause I thought it was just the CV joints....... was, foci have control arms on the front too?? lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts