Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a new set of rear break shoes on my 01 ZX3 and they squeal bad under breaking only. It is definatly the rear breaks and not the front. Any ideas as to rid this irritating squeal ?

Should have I bought a better grade of break shoes ?

Everything was cleaned very good prior to reassembly.

Thanks
Lefty

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
my rear brakes always squealed, but when i put new brake shoes on they squealed a lot worse. to be honest it hasnt gotten much better since

i found some used svt rear disc brakes, hoping to get those soon

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I did mine because of a slight squel. Now with the new shoes they're worse. Aggravating but that's the way they all are I guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was talking to a friend that has his own shop, and he has come to the conclusion that the OEM Ford shoes are pretty much the only ones that will not squeal, and this is not always the fix either !

From what he says, it has something to do with the back drum and a specific resinance !

Anyone have any luck withthe OEM shoes ?

Thanks again
Lefty

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Did whoever installed them lightly lubricate all the places when the shoe touches the backing plate. If not, that's one of the common culprits.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, I replaced them, and I did lube the contact points up with antiseize, and they squealed from day one. From what I understand I just need Ford shoes to replace the cheap ones I put on.
I found out there a bunch of TSBs for this but the dealer even said that the regular for shoes normally cure it.

Well see tomorrow !

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
We have Mintex AF brake shoes and pads and have no squealing problems. These are one of the few matched pad and shoe sets available and are a very good performance upgrade. I also prefer to use a good brake lube rather than anti-seize which in my opinion is too thin to be used as a lubricant (as well as too messy). Another possibility for the squealing is that the new shoes are an incompatible material and are not bedding properly. Did you replace the drums? Its about the only option because the hub design of the drum makes it more or less impossible to find someone who can turn them. You can only replace one friction material with the similar type friction material without replacing the rotors or drums or at a minimum have them turned to allow for proper bedding. Some friction materials will simply not bed into another material.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took off the aftermarket shoes, and got a refund, put on OEM shoes and all is well now !, For how long don't know

Thanks all that replied

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
they could also be out of adjustment. i just had mine reaadjusted and they are silent now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts