Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to this site. I am usually on the dsm boards(since I own it makes sense), however I have a problem so I thought I would ask and although you have a large amount of knowledge here to help dummies like me with cars they don't know I couldn't find what I needed or at least it seems to have a great hiding place on this site. I have a pretty vast knowledge of cars but this one just seems to escape me.

Anyways on to the question, my sister has an 01 zts sedan that I was doing the brakes on. The front brakes went on no problem just like doing any other brake job but after that this once simple project turned for the worse. When I got to doing the rear brakes I could not, for the life of me, get the pistons pushed in on either side. Now after noticing they didn't have th enormal ring shape to them they looked as if you needed a tool that you used to spin the pistons back. But that didn't make sense either because it would defy all logic as to how a brake works in the first place. So can someone shed some light on this for me. Could it just be that both calipers are frozen? Do the pistons actually screw in to retract them? Hell I even opened the bleeders and tried to relive pressure while pushing on the pistons with no luck. [?|]

thanks,

-zach-

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The pistons on the rear discs screw in. You need that little tool that goes on a socket.

If they are drums, it should just push in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Foci_Fosho said:
is your e-brake cable applied?
No

Egz said:
The pistons on the rear discs screw in. You need that little tool that goes on a socket.

If they are drums, it should just push in.

So they do in fact screw in, do I screw them in, in the same direction that I would if I was threading in a bolt or do they have reverse threads on them?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I don't remember. I want to say counter-clockwise, but I'm just guessing. Twist it one way, and if its wrong, go the other way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts