Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im a newbie and need some good old fasioned help.

i have bought some new pads/disks for rear but having a problem fitting them.

The obvious thing is the piston is right the way out - How do you push it back in.
I have tried witha hammer and also with a screwdriver by turning it using the grooves on its surface but had to give up. The new pads are so thick, i would have to push the piston right in.

All I tried was the following:
took brake fluid res cap off to allow fluid to rise if i pushed the piston in.
jacked up car took rear wheel off, took hand brake off, pushed a rock under front wheel
undid the 2 bolts holding caliper on.
used a hammer to persuade the caliper off.
took a small spring off the back which looks like its connected to the hand break cable.
took old pads out
pull caliper apart
now left with a piston which looks like its fully out....

How do i get the piston in....?

Ford Focus W reg 2000 2litre Ghia hatch, 86,000 miles, united kingdom

im guessing either i need a clamp of some sort to turn which forces the piston back in
or i have to do something to the rear handbrake cable attached, perhaps the piston is racheted out by handbrake....

please help...

thanks in advance

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
you need either a C clamp or a Caliper pusher (i don't know the proper name) The C Clamp would be easier to get a hold of. I've personally pushed mine in all the way by had and man that was a PIA. It can be done. Also if your pads are all the way out, you might wanna look at getting some Brake Grease to help lube them up when you push them in. It should make things go easier.

I don't know about across the pond, but a Caliper Pusher can be rented from a Auto Part Store, such as Autozone or Pepboys. A C-Clamp, you can get from just about any Hardware store.

OH

and [welcome]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is good news, thanks for the names, i will look into it.

is this job possible without taking the handbrake cable off?

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Honestly, there isn't too many Foci over here that have Rear Disc, So i don't know. Hopefully someone will chime in and help you out there....

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You don't have to disconnect the handbrake cable. But, you should get the proper tool from the auto parts store. You have to push it and turn it at the same time.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
yes, you need to compress the piston. if you buy the cheap compressor at the parts store, you may want to grab onto it with a pair of vise grips with a really really tight grip. i say this cuz the cheap black handwheels will spin on the post, eventually making the handle useless. patience with this please. and just to note, the spinning actions prevents the piston from being re-inserted at an angle. you dont want that, it will score the sides of the piston and you will be looking at a replacement or a rebuild. that is why a commercially found piston compressor is suggested over a simply c-clamp.[thumb]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
so it twists back into place? i thought the twisting action only secured no scarring of the piston walls.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
scrammer said:
so it twists back into place? i thought the twisting action only secured no scarring of the piston walls.
^^^Yes. It's actually threaded.
If you just push it straight in, you waste the threads and eliminate the self-adjustment capability.

pspringe said:
WD40, I did a Lincoln LS last weekend, none of the sides on that tool were large enough to span. I had to buy this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40732
Sweet brake tool kit!
Harbor Freight already gets enough of my business, but I might just have to pick up something new now. [;)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts