Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my rear brake calipers is not adjusting as the pads wear and now part of the rotor is rusted, the area the pad isn't touching. I live in a high corrosion zone and I am guessing the caliper pins have corroded. I had the same problem on my Subaru and removed and lubed caliper parts many times. Is there anything I need to know about the 2012 focus brakes before I do this??

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'll move this to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis for you.

Not many have done brakes themselves yet & reported it here, but there may have been more done than talked about so far.

The band of corrosion you mention, that the pad doesn't touch, has been talked about here regarding other models. If it's the type I'm imagining, it's an odd progression that starts with an area that doesn't get rubbed quite clean by the brakes & eventually develops to a section corroding faster than the section the pad touches wears - so the pad never ends up cleaning it again.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
One of my rear brake calipers is not adjusting as the pads wear and now part of the rotor is rusted, the area the pad isn't touching. I live in a high corrosion zone and I am guessing the caliper pins have corroded. I had the same problem on my Subaru and removed and lubed caliper parts many times. Is there anything I need to know about the 2012 focus brakes before I do this??
Seems like you have a handle on it, doing the scubbie, same for the foci.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Is there anything I need to know about the 2012 focus brakes before I do this??
I don't know if you've done the job yet, since this thread was started 2 weeks ago, but the rear caliper is the kind that has to spin as you put pressure on it to get it to go back in. That's the only thing that might throw you through a loop.

And to anyone that's replacing rotors and wants to remove the bolts on the knuckle, it's best if you remove the guide pins first and remove the caliper itself to get the parking brake cable out of the way before attempting to remove that top bolt.

Reactions: rambleon84
1 - 5 of 5 Posts