Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up a salvaged 2002 focus sedan that had been rear ended and rebuilt by the prior owner. Things are not quite right with the rear brake and turn signals. The PO appears to have messed it up a bit by installing a 3rd lamp in the light housing for the stop lights. Way too dim.

Looking at the connectors in the trunk I see that it appears to be wired as a non-sedan version. That is to say that blue goes to blue and blue/red goes to blue/red. (Listed as except sedan) The wiring diagram indicated that green/red should go to blue and green/black to blue/red.

I tried setting the left light as the book shows but only got a rapid turn signal.

Oh, also. The brake lights do not work when the car is off. This is telling me that not only is it wired as a non sedan but that there is a larger problem further up stream.

It is really not making sense to me how to get running lights, stop lights and turn lights in 2 filaments.

If wired as a sedan the brake system gets power at all times and goes to the brake switch with a grn/wht wire. Through a number of colores of wire it goes to the high mount brake lamp and both low mount lamps.

It appears that a 3rd light is needed.....

In the excludes sedan wiring is see the brake wire going fromm the brake switch to the high lamp and to the flasher module. And from there to the low lamps.

Am I correct in thinking that the sedan version needs 3 lights and that the excludes sedan version needs ? And uses the flasher module to make it all work?

Any help in figuring out this puzzle will be most welcome!

Regards, Ethan

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
man i would love to help but i have a vat of boiling motor oil that i need to dunk my face into. electrical and me dont mix however i have a friend at work who is really good with that kinda stuff so ill print off your question to show it to him because i wont remember a word of it and ill get back with you on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any help would be great. I'm guessing that when you only have 1 bulb with 2 filaments that the running lights are one filament and that the brake and turn lights share the other filament. Is this true?

So that tells me that I would need to have the setup of a non-sedan in the wiring diagram. And that the flasher module does the turn/brake signaling.

Still does not tell me why no brake lights when the key is off.

I'll have time to get in there and look at the brake switch and signaling module thursday or friday.

-Ethan

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
i could be wrong, but i have an 04 sedan, and the break lights on my car only operate when the car is on.....

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Any help would be great. I'm guessing that when you only have 1 bulb with 2 filaments that the running lights are one filament and that the brake and turn lights share the other filament. Is this true?
-Ethan
I think you hit it... because when your running lights are on and you signal you would lose the running lights wired the other way.
Wish I could help you with the wiring, but I can get through it only by 1 - having the manual in front of me 2 - having the wiring in front of me and 3- not having had some PO screw it up first...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
to answer one question, as far as I know with the Focus, the key needs to be at least be in the accessory position for power to reach the taillights. So although I have seen cars where the brakes light when the car is off (my fiance's Jetta for example), mine never have; the brake lights shut off when I remove the key.

#2, there were two different taillight set-ups for the sedan in the early years. '00- sometime in '02, the rear taillights on the sedan had a seperate bulb for the turn signals. This was the higher bulb socket in the lamp, above the large middle brake light socket. Sometime in '02, Ford changed the wiring harness to consolidate features and took away that higher turn signal, merging the wiring into the running/brake/turn bulb that we are most familiar with.

I've personally disemboweled my hatch to figure out the wiring in it, and judging from the diagrams I've seen, it isn't all that different from the sedans (depending on year of course). Your hazard switch.... is it the small connector of the late '02+ models? Or does it have the big silver heatsink? If it is the latter, then all rear light functions can be tapped into from the hazard switch and I might be able to help you. If its the former... I might have to do some reading or see some pics of what your talking about :)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
in addition to that... for the late '02 and up Focus', the brake/turn signal runs combined on one wire to the taillight. So, there should be three wires entering the bulb socket; black is ground, blue w/stripe I believe is the running light and green w/stripe is the brake/turn.

You are correct in that they run through a two filament bulb. The running light is the one, and the brake light is the other. When your turn signal is hit, that electrical signal preempts the brake signal on the wire they share, so that side of the taillight will blink. two filaments, 3 functions.

PS, don't quote me entirely on those colors, I'd need to check the wiring for a sedan to confirm that.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
We picked up a salvaged 2002 focus sedan that had been rear ended and rebuilt by the prior owner. Things are not quite right with the rear brake and turn signals. The PO appears to have messed it up a bit by installing a 3rd lamp in the light housing for the stop lights. Way too dim.
Third Lights Have up to 6 bulbs if there dim then its time to change them as there aged

Looking at the connectors in the trunk I see that it appears to be wired as a non-sedan version. That is to say that blue goes to blue and blue/red goes to blue/red. (Listed as except sedan) The wiring diagram indicated that green/red should go to blue and green/black to blue/red.
every line of vehicle has different color codes my wagon's have none of those wires indicated, the haynes manual shows generic pictures for the majority of the book there wiring is used off of one line

I tried setting the left light as the book shows but only got a rapid turn signal.
means one of the bulbs on that side are missing/burned out, the only other time it would rapidly blink would be if there is a stock blinker when theres added lights to the circuit.. small possibility your Turn signal relay is faulty

Oh, also. The brake lights do not work when the car is off. This is telling me that not only is it wired as a non sedan but that there is a larger problem further up stream.
Thats not an actual problem.. the brake lights are disabled with the key in the off position on all focus's

It is really not making sense to me how to get running lights, stop lights and turn lights in 2 filaments.
the lights use only 2 filaments
inner filament is used for running its not as bright
outer filament is used for brakes, when the turn signals are activated the relay breaks the circuit turning the one side brake light off then reconnects it
if the brakes are not applied the relay connects the circuit for the brake lights to make them blink

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
i ran all that by my bud at work and i swear ive never seen the man get stumped like that. sorry i couldnt help. good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soultion

OK I think that I know what the problem is and a solution.

To recap. This car is a 2002 that was rear ended. The brake lights were very dim. 2002 came with either a 3 bulb or 2 bulb system. 2 bulb systems do the stop and turn lights together through a control module.

Puzzle solved - in repairing the car a rear from a 2005 was welded on. 2005 cars do not have 3 bulb options. The PO drilled a hole in the light housing and installed a small 3rd lamp for the brake lights.....

OK 3 bulb housings don't fit - solution was to install a proper sized bulb and go with the hack job. (not a good solution I know).

Now on to the airbag problem (Airbag light does not light)

Thanks, Ethan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts