Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 ZX5 won’t stay aligned. I’ve worn out several sets of rear tires nearly bald with the fronts staying almost pristine. I get an alignment at least every year and when new tires are installed. The rear control arms have been replaced a few years ago. What have you folks encountered?

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,482 Posts
My 02 ZX5 won’t stay aligned. I’ve worn out several sets of rear tires nearly bald with the fronts staying almost pristine. I get an alignment at least every year and when new tires are installed. The rear control arms have been replaced a few years ago. What have you folks encountered?
Never had a problem as long as I keep the tires rotated every 5000 miles. If you dont rotate it will eat up the rear tires. Toe has to be set properly. Sounds like the alignment shop did a poor job.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Maybe that’s it, I don’t rotate near that often.
Agree with pbfoot - rotation is very important. If you have non-directional tires the recommended rotation is to move the fronts to the rear crossed and the rears straight to the front. If you have directional tires then you just swap front and rear on each side.

When you see rear tire wear is it inside, outside, or ?

Paul

Reactions: pbfoot

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
All the way across, maybe slightly more on the inside.
Usually inside tire wear - front or rear tires - is due to excessive negative toe (aka toe out). On the Focus rear suspension toe is adjusted at the eccentric bolts at the inner portion of the rear control arms.

I rotate my tires every time I do an oil change which on my Focuses is every 6K miles or every year whichever is first. I used too drive my cars at least 6K per year but with the pandemic Ive been driving much less.

Paul

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,484 Posts
Rotation is apparently important on these cars. I had new Goodyears installed on my 2012 by the Ford dealer and the fronts were fine but the rears made an awful howling noise from going out of balance(no unusual wear though). It was a surprise to me since every rear wheel drive car I had ever owned(which was almost all of my cars) the fronts would typically wear uneven or go out of balance but the rears would always be fine. With the IRS in the Focuses it seems that the tires in the rear if left unrotated will cause issues.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't have that problem anymore. I took my car to a frame and body guy that does old school manual alignments and it was fixed over the course of 6 years and many sets of tires. But tire pressure was also key as well, as I run 45 PSI up front and 37 PSI in the rear on Bridgestone S04.

·
Registered
54 Posts
>took my car to a frame and body guy that does old school manual alignments
Perfectly said, the $$$ hungers shops love to rotate your tires and windshield wipers if you let them.

My rear alignment is done and done correctly with its cam bolts, adjustable front rear arm and inspections
of all rear bushings..Tires rarely need a rotation other than my summer to winter changeover

·
Registered
364 Posts
Perfectly said, the $$$ hungers shops love to rotate your tires and windshield wipers if you let them.

My rear alignment is done and done correctly with its cam bolts, adjustable front rear arm and inspections
of all rear bushings..Tires rarely need a rotation other than my summer to winter changeover
These computer alignments, who says the computer is correct?
You have to look at the tire wear, to determine the driving style and make manual adjustments based off the tire wear.
Sometimes the tire wear can be from tire pressure, worn suspension component, needs an upgraded components that is stronger or more powerful. It really takes a trained eye to fix these issues. And not a monkey at the tire store that uses computers, lasers and mirrors.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The problem is the allowable alignment spec range is too big.

Somewhere on this site (I'm trying to find it) is a thread that has a narrower range of specs that allows the tires to last........

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't have that problem anymore. I took my car to a frame and body guy that does old school manual alignments and it was fixed over the course of 6 years and many sets of tires. But tire pressure was also key as well, as I run 45 PSI up front and 37 PSI in the rear on Bridgestone S04.
My rear tires never wore unevenly even with extra cargo weight in the car all the time. They just went out of balance in the rear. If the rear alignment was off then the tires would wear unevenly in some way but they didn't. They wore perfectly even for almost 40k miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My rear tires never wore unevenly even with extra cargo weight in the car all the time. They just went out of balance in the rear. If the rear alignment was off then the tires would wear unevenly in some way but they didn't. They wore perfectly even for almost 40k miles.
I stay away from the big guys go to one of the local shops that has been around forever you will get beater service and a beater wheel alignment

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I stay away from the big guys go to one of the local shops that has been around forever you will get beater service and a beater wheel alignment
My tires didn't wear unevenly though so I didn't see any good reason to align it. I just think not rotating the tires was the problem as it only happened in the rear. It seems to me something about the IRS design seems to make the tires go out of balance if not rotated.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I am going to treat you like any tire store does, and just like any tire warranty does... No tire pro-rate or free tire replacement (due to excessive wear or due to unusual wear) without first proving or providing evidence that your car wheels are properly aligned. If you can prove your car is properly aligned, your chances of (free) warranty replacement goes way up. Since you had your car wheels aligned (more than once) show me the results and the alignment settings via a record today (or most recent) that shows the alignment settings or measurements. This is typically provided to you on paper. Please post your alignment document here in this thread as a photo attached or via photo web-hosting.

The dominate error in (MKI-MKII) Foci is the rear wheel/wheels Toe setting. Here is an old thread that discusses preferred rear wheel toe settings. The FocusFanatic Rear Toe is preferred to be at .10 to .15. This despite (Ford factory?) tire shops that typically set Toe at .15 to .35. See link->

Most cars will have ZERO unusual tire wear IF properly aligned and IF the tires are not defective. This also includes when or if minimal tire rotations are performed during the life of the tires.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to treat you like any tire store does, and just like any tire warranty does... No tire pro-rate or free tire replacement (due to excessive wear or due to unusual wear) without first proving or providing evidence that your car wheels are properly aligned. If you can prove your car is properly aligned, your chances of (free) warranty replacement goes way up. Since you had your car wheels aligned (more than once) show me the results and the alignment settings via a record today (or most recent) that shows the alignment settings or measurements. This is typically provided to you on paper. Please post your alignment document here in this thread as a photo attached or via photo web-hosting.

The dominate error in (MKI-MKII) Foci is the rear wheel/wheels Toe setting. Here is an old thread that discusses preferred rear wheel toe settings. The FocusFanatic Rear Toe is preferred to be at .10 to .15. This despite (Ford factory?) tire shops that typically set Toe at .15 to .35. See link->

Most cars will have ZERO unusual tire wear IF properly aligned and IF the tires are not defective. This also includes when or if minimal tire rotations are performed during the life of the tires.
Thanks for the link. I'm not looking to get any warranty replacement on the tires, just trying to figure the alignment out. I've (we) had the car since 08, has been that way the whole time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts