Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car was in need of alignment after replacing a bent front strut, so I took it to the local Ford Dealer as they had a special on alignment. I just moved to a new city and have zero experience with the dealer.

When performing the alignment, the tech adjusted the rear by removing the lower control arm bolt. Being from Canada with salted roads, of course the bolt was seized in the bushing, and broke off in the control arm. At this point the dealership called me to tell me I'd need a new control arm.

I've had 3 alignments performed on the car before, and they never touched the lower control arm bolts. Can the alignment even be adjusted from them? I'm miffed that I'm going to be out $500+ bucks to fix this.

The car was last aligned in late June, as the alignment kept falling out due to the bent strut in the front. When the car was aligned, the rear was fine.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
If they broke it and it sounds like they did, then they need to fix it, period!
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know they broke, and they need to be replaced. What I'm wondering, is if they need to be touched at all to perform an alignment.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
give them hell, there is no reason for them to be touching that bolt as it does not provide any adjustment to my knowledge.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
^^^ This, if we could use the bottom bolt to adjust it none us would be buying adjustable upper bolts/arms!
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah, no reason for them to take out that bolt, there's no adjustment there. Sounds like they own you a new arm on their dime. PLUS, if they are charging you $500 that's rape. I bought my control arm from Tousley for like $75 or something and that has the new busings already in it.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
I don't think they are responsible for corrosion. That's the owners responsibility to rust proof there own car. The struts are on the front of the car. Are u refering to the rear lower control arms which have a camber bolt adjustment?

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
I don't think they are responsible for corrosion. That's the owners responsibility to rust proof there own car. The struts are on the front of the car. Are u refering to the rear lower control arms which have a camber bolt adjustment?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hello!? The ONLY way to adjust the alignment (toe) on the Focus is the lower (inner) control arm bolt!!!!!
Surely it doesn't need to me removed, but....

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
^^^^this is correct. Only the two inner control arm bolts (on the rear end) adjust anything. The outer two need not be touched in an alignment. And yes they can rust and cause issues. An alignment can not be properly completed if they are siezed up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts