Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed this "mostly" Friday night. But am having trouble finding the part numbers for the parking brake end links.

Braking is much smoother and takes less pressure on the pedal. Well worth it.

Before,

After,

Reactions: felixthecat

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
how in the hell did you find the backing plate and caliper and lines? LOL
I ordered them from Ford. I had no problem calling Ford and ordering the calipers, rotors, flex lines and pads. The spindles, bearings, backing plates and hubs came from the wreckers for 350.00 but are still readily available from Ford. 2005-07 Focus ST rear brakes are all still available from Ford. Even the spindles can be ordered from Ford. Different part number then SVT but same part I believe. The difference is in the size of the caliper carrier only. Smaller on the ST then the svt but still an upgrade from drums.

I will be upgrading the carriers both front and back to svt spec when these rotors need replacement.

The job is actually not very hard. as long as you don't break any of the 8 spindle bolts.

I also por15ed the subframe, blade control arm, trialling arms and painted the calipers with high temp black gloss.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The difference is so noticeable, I cant believe more people don't do this. I had a hell of a time finding info on a drum to rotor conversion for 05-07 focus I almost gave up. I kept hearing the same statements, "SVT kit discontinued".

Then I did some research and discovered the 05-07 Focus ST which had rotors all around. Not quit as large as the SVT but better then drums for sure. I call ford ask for 05 ST calipers, rotors, pads, and spindles, they are readily available! I say what, really! Spindles are expansive new from ford so I call wreckers, they have, I order. 350.00 from wreckers gets me the rear trialling arms, control arms with spindles bearings and hub attached! POW! I'm in business.

Also the front calipers on the 05-07 regular focus are the same as SVT focus the only difference is the caliper carrier/anchor. An easy upgrade get anchor buy SVT rotors. I am not sure if the SVT calipers/carriers are still available but I will be calling ford to find out. Also I believe the larger Mazda rotors use the exact same caliper/carrier combo that was on the SVT, if so there is another solution. If they are a full SVT conversion is totally still possible from Ford/Mazda.

If 05-07 ST spindles hold SVT calipers. Svt brakes are still totally possible from ford, just in a round about way. I will be confirming this of course.

·
Registered
129 Posts
On my car I picked up a rear SSBC kit but had nothing but issues with it, I had checked the wreckers several times and found nothing, then one day I found 2 focuses at the wreckers both with rear discs. the entire assy cost me $130. including the ebrake cables, spindles, sensors etc. and I put them on exactly as they came off the donor car. same pads and rotors, the rotors were rusty as all hell so I cleaned them up with a wire wheel on a drill and installed them, expecting th have to change them a week later.
I've done about 6 track days since then and still have the same rear pads and rotors on it :) as well as being a daily driver. I did buy a set to change in, but haven't needed to yet.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Very nice! This write up make me want to go ahead and paint all the suspension parts to look that good!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to brakes, Suspension & Chassis for easier reference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did the fronts to SVT first, then I did the rear to disc about 4 months later.

Do the fronts first, its a way better improvement then the rears to disc.

front discs to svt discs 50% improvement
rear drums to disc 10% improvement

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh and by the way. If you get the 05 rear spindles, then go ahead and buy SVT calipers and rotors as ford only made one spindle for the rear. The calipers just have different mounting hole locations.

Recap: to go all SVT.

Front: 05 front spindle and lower ball joint then SVT caliper and rotor.
Rear: 05(ST ONLY) rear spindle then SVT caliper and rotor.

Works like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
so what you are saying is if I already have rear discs I just need calipers and rotors to get to SVT rears?
You'll need the svt caliper bracket's to position the caliper's higher to clear the 11'' rotors & of course the 11'' rotors. Or you could spring for tce Wilwood 11.75 kit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You'll need the svt caliper bracket's to position the caliper's higher to clear the 11'' rotors & of course the 11'' rotors. Or you could spring for tce Wilwood 11.75 kit.
Yes that is correct, I am sorry for the confusion. I just assumed that everyone would know. But yes caliper bracket for the SVT as well (front and rear) as the caliper. Thanks for the catch and sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts