Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its Ford Friday...the day of the week I stop by local dealership and shoot the breeze with the boys. While there my dealer called Ford to find out where my car is, he was told that there is a production delay due to tires.

Wait, Ford has ran out of Tires?????[chair] (maybe just for the Titanium with the handling package)!!!

Curious if anyone can confirm or knows what the issue is with tires!

Oh well waited this long...might as well keep waiting.[rant]

·
Registered
524 Posts
Couldn't they still build all the cars and leave the tires off until they come in? Let me guess, the tires were made in Japan next to one of those nuke plants.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So its Ford Friday...the day of the week I stop by local dealership and shoot the breeze with the boys. While there my dealer called Ford to find out where my car is, he was told that there is a production delay due to tires.

Wait, Ford has ran out of Tires?????[chair] (maybe just for the Titanium with the handling package)!!!

Who knows!
I think normally if there is a tire shortage like they had with special sizes for the big trucks, Ford announces there is a shortage to prevent orders and backlogs. I will happily wait as well. [dunno]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Couldn't they still build all the cars and leave the tires off until they come in? Let me guess, the tires were made in Japan next to one of those nuke plants.
Uh, what are they going to put these cars on in the meantime? Get a bunch of jackstands? Just sit them on the ground?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cool, fluorescent tires!
Tirerack shows less than four in stock and $273 each! Ouch, reminds me of my previous Porsche Boxster S with PS2's. I went through rear tires every six months and fronts every twelve. Hopefully with less horsepower and the fact I can rotate front to rear, I can get a year out of them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, fluorescent tires!
Tirerack shows less than four in stock and $273 each! Ouch, reminds me of my previous Porsche Boxster S with PS2's. I went through rear tires every six months and fronts every twelve. Hopefully with less horsepower and the fact I can rotate front to rear, I can get a year out of them.
I know the feeling...I use Nittos on our Challenger. I change tires almost as often as the oil! But the Nittos only run about $200 each.[xx(]

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

I don't know. I ordered a couple of weeks after you and called Ford today (I ordered the Ti handling package). They said I was scheduled for build next (which confirms what my salesguy told me at the beginning of this week).

Either both Ford directly and my saleguy are giving the runaround or lacking information or your dealer is giving you the runaround.

I would try calling Ford customer service directly yourself, giving them your VIN and have them pull up the order to get the info directly from them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know the feeling...I use Nittos on our Challenger. I change tires almost as often as the oil! But the Nittos only run about $200 each.[xx(]
I think I might be considered an "aggressive driver". With the Porsche, when I pulled into my parking spot at work, I would always smell burnt rubber and brake dust. Almost as good as my old motocross days with racing fuel and synthetic premix. Mmmmmmm.... My current Acura TL gives me about 12 months on summer sport tires.. The Porsche would give me about 5k on the rears before they sounded like mud terrains and would float in rainstorms here in Florida.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Uh, what are they going to put these cars on in the meantime? Get a bunch of jackstands? Just sit them on the ground?
I'll send them some tires for my car if they need them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My dealer told me that a shortage of the 18" wheels delayed production of my car. This is the same guy who told me it was built and in transit yesterday, when the sticker just became available for download a few minutes ago and clearly shows a build date of July 28. He also had some lame story about the rail shipment taking longer because of some rail bridge here in BC that had been damaged causing the train to reroute through Washington, so I'd take his wheel shortage story with a large boulder of salt.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Hi, Michelin's, which are fitted to the 18" wheels, are made in China or the UK, they might be even be made in the US, but not Japan. Thus the Japanese conspiracy is not true....
Chris

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi, Michelin's, which are fitted to the 18" wheels, are made in China or the UK, they might be even be made in the US, but not Japan. Thus the Japanese conspiracy is not true....
Chris
What Japanese conspiracy?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, " Let me guess, the tires were made in Japan next to one of those nuke plants."
Chris

·
Registered
524 Posts
Oh, I forgot the emoticon on that. That was supposed to be joke.[giggle]

·
Registered
519 Posts
Chris
Tirerack shows that they're made in Hungary.

There has been, however a tire shortage looming in the U.S. recently. Higher oil prices have also affected tire manufacturing costs, and the tire manufactures have not been able to fully pass this cost on to the consumer yet. Therefore, some manufactures, such as Goodyear specifically (but I would imagine Michelin as well), have been focusing they're production in areas most likely to increase their margin. The PS3 is an O.E. tire for maybe less than 10 cars made, and is probably not at the top of their list.

·
Registered
533 Posts

There has been, however a tire shortage looming in the U.S. recently. Higher oil prices have also affected tire manufacturing costs, and the tire manufactures have not been able to fully pass this cost on to the consumer yet. Therefore, some manufactures, such as Goodyear specifically (but I would imagine Michelin as well), have been focusing they're production in areas most likely to increase their margin. The PS3 is an O.E. tire for maybe less than 10 cars made, and is probably not at the top of their list.
Hi, I've not heard of tiretrack anyway. But here http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Du...plant-in-line-for-dundee-tyre-jobs-boost.html and here http://answers.ask.com/Vehicles/Other/where_are_michelin_tires_made suggest other places as well. I agree with you about the prices though...
Chris

·
Registered
218 Posts

Normally they will sign a contract guaranteeing the availability of tires for the length of the contract This is a win for the tire manufacturer as they have guaranteed income and a win for the car manufacturer as they get consistent price and availability. If the tire manufacturer would rather focus on the volatile tire market where the consumer has many choices there is the possibility that they will not sell what they have produced and end up selling it at a lower price point to distributors. That would not bode well with the shareholders....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts