Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this big jerk when the automatic shifts from 1 to 2. Also when I slow down and take my foot off of the gas and then try to accelerate, it acts like the transmission is slipping before a jerk and then it accelerates. The dealer is trying to sell me this information that it has to get used to my driving. I have 800 miles on it and I do not want to wait around until 2000 mi for the car to know how I drive. What can I do? Will I have to go to a TV station for the On Your Side program? I want a smooth ride now. Something is wrong here and Ford is side stepping the problem. Any ideas out there.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
most new owners have had the same problem your describing. and most have said it smoothed out after a few thousand miles, give it some time and if it keep up after 2000+ miles then you might have a real problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, but I have had new cars all my life and never had to put up with this nonsence for 2000 miles. Should have gotten that Elantra.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Just listen to your dealer and maybe get it in writing. If the problem persists then take it back there. Its not like your car is going to be out of warranty any time soon so they should help you out. If not find a new dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
heres the thing, ford is using a new type of transmission in the new focus and fiesta witch alot of people are not used to yet and needs to be driven a while for it to learn your driving needs. Basically this transmission is a hybrid of automatic and manual transmission rolled into one. The internals are what you would find in a manual transmission but instead of having a clutch and a shifter the trans cpu shifts the trans. electronically. so because of this for the transmission to be smooth it needs to learn all your types of driving from cruising to hard driving. if the problem persists then like people here said you have warrantee on the car for the next five years, so take it in and if this really isn't the way the transmission should be running they'll fix it or even just replace the transmission if it really comes down to it.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I have had new cars all my life and never had to put up with this nonsence for 2000 miles. Should have gotten that Elantra.
I'm guessing none of those new cars had a dual-clutch transmission. PowerShift isn't just some fancy market speak for "SUPER POWERFUL AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!!" Research. Read reviews. Test drive. Test drive a lot. Go to different dealerships if you have to. Get a feel for the car. Test driving some fancy new car around a few blocks for 10-15 mins isn't enough. It sounds like a pain in the ass but it would have saved you this headache.

With all due respect many of these complaints come from people not understanding the technology behind the car. I'm not saying it's not annoying or that your concerns are invalid. I believe you because I know it's true. This behavior is the norm for dual clutch transmission technology (even with other manufacturers). There is no torque converter to make the shifting smooth. The tradeoff you get is better torque and fuel economy. Nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine was alittle rough at first and now I have about 312 miles. I have never took the car on a freeway yet. Just yesterday it stopped the rough feeling and smoothed out. I know it's hard to believe but it is very smooth now. I also took the advice of some other members on here and put a better grade of gas in the car and it made a difference in the way it performs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The jerkiness is ALSO caused by the fact that its a variable cam. It's a small, peppy, jerky motor. I have a manual and in First it can be real jerky if I'm in traffic. I mean if you think it's a problem, just go to the dealer. It's really not a big issue. Focus on the perks of the car, not the small downsides.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've noticed a very slight thump when I step on the accelerator after sitting at a light. I'm not concerned because my thought is, because the clutch disengages when the car isn't moving, this is the clutch engaging when the accelerator is depressed. My trans is smooth with no shuttering, unusual sounds or quirky characteristics.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
The jerkiness is ALSO caused by the fact that its a variable cam. It's a small, peppy, jerky motor. I have a manual and in First it can be real jerky if I'm in traffic. I mean if you think it's a problem, just go to the dealer. It's really not a big issue. Focus on the perks of the car, not the small downsides.
This is interesting. My motor is not jerky. It's quite smooth actually. Also the smoothest first gear I've ever had. Are you new to driving a manual transmission automobile?

·
Registered
712 Posts
My unit was only slightly harsh for the first couple hundred miles and quickly smoothed out after that. The only harsh shifts I ever ever detect now are when I am stuck in a gridlock traffic crawl where you are varying speed between 1-3 mph and that is pretty rare for me.

Ask the dealer to let you test drive another '12 Focus. If it feels much better, your unit may have problems and you can tell the dealer that it is different. If it feels the same, give it a few hundred miles (not thousands since that to me is ridiculous.) My dealers service techs were very willing to go for test drives with me which was helpful because without that, they often assume you are exaggerating (since some people do).

·
Registered
148 Posts
this is do to the car not being broke in. get at least 1000 miles on it and it will smooth right out. I wish mine would have stayed like yours i know that way it is not slipping. But i am from the old days with hard shifting trans.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Mine smoothed out after 1000 miles... it hesitates every once in a while but I know the characteristics of the transmission and don't mind it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts