Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm following this guide to replace my springs to SVT springs and this stupid bolt won't come off...It actually stated to strip. I had a coil compressor, but it didn't work, too big...(see below). Anyone suggestions or anyone want to buy some 20k SVT springs lol????

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
I remember Robbie telling me he compressed the spring then had someone jump on the axle while he pulled them out. I don't think he took that out. Then again I don't know how he got the new ones in.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
O man...that sucks. It is allways a good idea to soak the bolt with spray. Something like WD40 or Letgo and let it soak in. It is probable rusted in. This may help a little. Good luck man. [scratch]

Reactions: FociZX4ST

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Stripping it? Are you sure you are using the correct size socket? If shouldn't strip at all. That bolt is a high grade of strength steel and if anything it should be ruining your sockets if anything. Um. Be sure to get the right socket on there and then get yourself a nice 2 foot piece of piping or something to use as a breaker bar.

I am assuming though that picture is not of your ST as it has drums. Is there a lot of rust on the bolt? It could just be fused in there and no amount of torque will turn it. Basically have to cut it out at that point.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's rusted in. I used a ton of wd40 so maybe I will have to try letgo...

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
PB Blaster...soak it and let sit.

that bolt SHOULD come out easily enough.......I didn't use a jack for that area though. My suspension was hanging free when we swapped springs.

AIR TOOLS HELP!

hope you get it man!

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stripping it? Are you sure you are using the correct size socket? If shouldn't strip at all. That bolt is a high grade of strength steel and if anything it should be ruining your sockets if anything. Um. Be sure to get the right socket on there and then get yourself a nice 2 foot piece of piping or something to use as a breaker bar.

I am assuming though that picture is not of your ST as it has drums. Is there a lot of rust on the bolt? It could just be fused in there and no amount of torque will turn it. Basically have to cut it out at that point.
I'm using a 15 mm and yes, that is not my car. The rust is minimal. Should I use a different bolt size, anyone know? I have a breaker bar.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
just get some P.B. Blaster on that bolt and let it sit for 5 min. THEN go at it.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is 15 mm right???

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
That bolt goes through a metal sleeve which is probably where it's stuck.
Go to a hardware store and buy a cheap socket-you're gonna be smacking the crap out of it. Hose it down with WD40 or similar stuff. And I mean hose it down-all possible angles and directions. Jack up the control arm under the spring, but only enough to release any tension on the joint, so you are only going to raise it ab. 1/8". Put the socket on the bolt head and with a hammer smack it a few times. You may want to hold the socket with a pair of vise grips as it will go flying. You want to send shock waves through the bolt to break it free.
And if you completely bugger it up the new bolt# is W500746-S439.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Crap...I didn't have it jacked up...I forgot. That might have been my issue.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So 15 mm right????? Anyone????? Rep points will be added shortly.

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
soak that sucker in wd40 jack it up and use a spring compressor to take it out. the compressor you have should work you just have to get it around as many coils as possible. my friend has one that looks just like yourrs and he uses it pretty often on the rears.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man...no one knows if it's 15 mm....

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Just went out and checked bolt size.... and yes to 15mm. I tried both standard and metric. And the 15mm was the winner.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just disconect the shock its self and it shound let the whole thing drop down.

And yes its a 15 ive done mine.

If it doesent work you can try to take out the camber bolt.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys! Rep added. ^What happend to your control arm??? lol it looks like it's missing! lol BTW which one is the camber bolt...kind of new at this.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Its there.............camber bolt 2bolts in the middle when you look under the car..its to the left on my pic you cant see it tho. try the method i said it should work.^^^

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The camber bolt is an aftermarket replacement. Go to the first photo you posted. See that bolt right behind and at the top of the brake drum and in front of the shock. That's the bolt a camber bolt would replace. It holds the upper control arm to the rear hub assembly. A camber bolt would give you some rear camber adjustment where none currently exists.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts