Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Really rough Idling

1033 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  mgmack
For awhile I was having some rough idling when I started up my car after it sat for awhile. It would putter and pat like it was on it's last leg, so I went ahead and put focussport wires and brisk spark plugs that they sell. It made a huge difference and that was at 27,000. Now at 35,000 I am having the same damn problem so if someone could tell me how the hell it's possible to foul out spark plugs in 8,000 miles or why my car is doing this that would be great.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already checked all of my connections, everything is really tight. I called up the SVT hotline number and they said it's either a vacuum leak or the ignition coil could be bad and that's why it's fouling out plugs.
I don't know what it is I don't even know how to check for a vacuum leak.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
You might have an injector bleeding down into the cylinder. Is one cyl fouling more than the rest? Do you get any missfire codes that could lead you to the suspect cyl?

· Registered
1,325 Posts
Ok, Dood Here I had the SAME Freakin problem. It started a long time ago, and I figured it was an ill side effect of al lmy head work. Well It drives ok, right? Just at idle it sounds like its missfiring. I changed my plugs, and wires, and Coil pack with MSD stuff, it got a little better, but I finally tried the LAST thing, and its a 8 dollar part. I have right at 39000 miles on my SVT. Guess what the part was... A FUEL FILTER. It sounds stupid, and I thought the same thing. Just go to autozone, and pick one up its like 7.99 and see if that doesnt solve ur problem. I literally had the SAME prob u did, and finally replaced that and its all beauty now.

Chris

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I just replaced that though 4,000 miles ago. I checked my spark plugs yesterday and they didn't look bad at all they weren't black or anything just a little brown. So I really don't know what the hell I was maybe thinking the fuel pump but I would notice something all the time I think.

· Registered
2 Posts
Rough idle when cold

Did you have the ecm reflashed? I had same problem with my wife's 2k4 SVTF and the SVT hotline said to take it to the stealer and have them reflash the ecm. There's a TSB out about the problem but I don't know the number. My wife's only has 14k miles on it but runs better after the reflash.[thumb]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.