Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok everyone i'm new to the forum i don't really use my car for anything other than daily driver, I started using cherokeeforum when i got my jeep and it's been a pretty good tool. i figured it may prove handy for the problem i'm having with my focus.

so I did the spark plugs on it, and the valve cover gasket. few weeks went y then it started to idle rough and it threw the check engine light at me, a couple days later it would idle really bad and even shut off on me when i wasnt revving it..

SYMPTOMS: ROUGH IDLE AND A HISSING NOISE.

CODES: P0171 SYSTEMM TOO LEAN BANK 1
P0351 IGNITION COIL A PRIMARY/SECONDARY CIRCUIT FAULT
P0352 COIL B (SAME EXACT CODE AS ABOVE)
P0400 EGR FLOW FAULT
P2195 SENSOR EXCESS LEAN SIGNAL BANK 1 - SENSOR 1

i replaced the 2 ignition coils (the ones closest to the front of the engine) and it would still die as SOON as i let off the throttle (wouldn't hold an idle on it's own) .. so i put the 2 new coils on the last 2 cylinders and the car idles rough but it doesn't shut off anymore which is a big improvement considering it wouldn't even stay on without some gas.

i'm thinking the lean bank 1 code and the 02 sensor b1 are from the misfire that's happening and the egr might be plugged up or worn out.

should i replace the 2 coils that i haven't yet replaced? can it be the spark plugs, they're new look fine, no oil not even burnt and don't smell like gas, and it isn't a misfire code that the car is giving me.

i appreciate any and all help, thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Hissing noise and lean fault codes are usually vacuum leak.

Check PCV hose for splits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did and i sprayed around with carb cleaner i guess that's supposed to change the idle but it didn't do anything, i'll check some more when it cools down, i just picked up the kiddo from school so it's nice and toasty.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Sometimes the ambient noises around a running engine make it hard to find the vacuum leak.

Try using a short (about 2 foot) length of hose to listen. Hold one end to your ear while you search around the engine for the source of the hissing noise. I usually find this works very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ignition coils took care of the car shutting off but i did find a vacuum leak now i gotta pull out the intake manifold.. oh boy this should be fun.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
A few have actually replaced the PCV hose without removing the intake, but removing it is the usual repair method as it is very difficult to do it any other way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it's being a pain i should have the leaking hose replaced by the end of the day, the holes big as heck i don't know how i missed it. right now i'm just waiting on the wife to get out of work so i can go grab the torx i need, i just tore apart my only car, i'll post a reply on how evrything went, the ignition coils did make a pretty big difference though i gotta say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it idled high for the first few seconds i started it.. didn't mess with the throttle cables can it be because i disconnected the throttle body when i pulled the manifold? or is it something is should be worried about?

when i started it the temp read at half on the dash. dont know if thats something i should be worried about car hasnt over heated and didnt have this problem before.. is it cuz the battery was out for a while? maybe?...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The PCM has to relearn its idle and other things after being disconnected. If the idle has settled down, then nothing to worry about.

"when i started it the temp read at half on the dash."
That's a new one...is it okay now?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts