Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really new to the sport compact scene. I have a lot of questions, but I will not ask them all at once. I cam rom the muscle car scene, I had a 2002 Camaro SS. I loved the car, but it had horrible gas mileage. I am wondering about cam gears. How much do they help, how hard are they to install, will they hurt the mileage, and I am sure that they void warranties. How about intake and exhaust. Can you feel a difference on these cars? I am thinking about getting and intake real soon. Any information I can get its great.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Cam with cam gears you will make a difference in power but that depends and how your cams were set from the factory, and your gonna have to give it a few runs on the dyno to get em tuned right, so i would leave them for when you have a few mods on to actaully make more power over all.

I cannot personally tell you much bout the feel from intake and exhaust mods, but you can look around there are a few recent threads fof people putting on exhaust parts that they say they felt the difference on the butt dyno, intakes on the otehr hand the site forms a huge love for the Volant and Iceman. There is a new thread started by mofocus thatll help you out a lot with that question. So pop up the search and looks for a few of thsoe and it will give you a good idea. Sorry i dont get into detail but there are lots of intake threads if you look through a few you'll get more info than i can give you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I am still quite new at this. I am going to go ahead and get an intake. The exhaust is going to have to wait until I hear some in person. Anyone in the SoCal area want to volunteer?? I plan to race this car someway, somehow.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
inline_engine_lover said:
don't expect to be amazed by intake and exhaust, new cars don't respond just wonderfully. you'll feel a difference, but not a really big one.
Don't forget, the PZEV is a different beast from the Zetec. Properly designed intakes can get you between 10-15 horsepower at the wheels. Its because of the 'life-time' air filter and the vapor trap. And a header and exhaust can almost give equal amounts, due to the 2 cats in the exhaust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't gotten under the car to look, but I did not know that hwe had 2 cats in the exhaust. I guess that is one way they made it a PZEV. I am really thinking about an intake, I just want to make sure that I get the right one. I am told that Focus Sport will have thiers out real soon and it looks like a good CAI. I think I might wait for thiers. As far as exhaust, I want something that has a mild tone to it. I don't want anything too loud. Any ideas? Is it worth going with a whole cat-back or should I just change the muffler and do a header?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
You are really limited on exhausts right now. The only cat-back is the Focus Central one, and that might even replace the 2nd cat. And all they use is resonators. Standard catbacks won't work because of a different size gas tank, causing the muffler not to fit. Plus, we don't have a flex pipe availible yet. You might want to wait a couple months on the exhaust to see how things develop first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am looking at Marcy Motorsport for the CAI and exhaust. They seem to have a lot of stuff for the Focus.

·
Registered
101 Posts
yeah and there delivery is awsome! i just got my intake

i'll post pics when im done, and if dyno's wheren't 50 bucks i would dyno to

1 - 9 of 9 Posts