Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.
I have Ford Focus 2005 LX petrol hatchback.
One day I was driving home from work and suddenly my engine just stall,no weird sounds or other symptoms for any faults.
I towed it to nearest garage.
Mechanic told to me its instrumental cluster fault.So I bought it second hand from ebay.
Then mechanic told he cannot connect to ECU. Linking error.
He offered to scrap my car,cos there should be some wiring problem and to find where it is,its will cost fortune to me.
Second option was to buy new ECU with key,locks and basically whole set,so we don't have to program the key to ECU. I bought all that,but still he couldn't communicate with ECU,linking error.
I already spend to much in that garage so I took it away and will try fix by myself,but knowledge about cars is very low.
So I bought new Diagnostic scan tool to make sure that there is linking error.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAN-BUS-O...654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item48674ef736
This one had linking error. Its very cheap and there is big possibility its doesn't just work.

So I decide to do triple check and bought a bit better fault code reader.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-D900-...016?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20dfb6e1e0

I will get delivery tomorrow,but there is small hope its will work.

I had to save money for long time to buy this car. I just had it for 6 months and now I have to scrap it?
Any ideas what fault could be to my ford?
Regards

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Wow!! What a bummer. You had some very bad luck. Very sorry to hear that you replaced the ECU. I would ask that garage to return some of your money.

The good news is-> ECU to OBD port communication errors are not rare and are fixable. The second, better scan tool will not help you with the communication error... but I do not blame you for buying it at all.

Did the OBD comm error show up before AND after the new cluster was installed?

Clean the battery terminals and other connections too: make sure each terminal lug has a healthy connection onto the cables; follow the black wires down and find the spot that the wire mounts onto the car frame. Disconnect and clean these frame/ground connections.

PCM Diode: Use car owners manual. Battery Junction Fuse Box. Find "D1". Test or replace that Diode.

Link below for owners manual, -page 132 to 134
http://www.focusplanet.com/downloads/focusmanuals/2005/2005_focus_owner_guidemanual.pdf

When key is On (and engine is off) do you see total mileage/kilometers driven inside the odometer -or- do you see dashes "-----------" ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello.
I have now ECU and instrumental cluster connected,from other focus.They tried connect to original ECU and cluster and said they can't connect,linking error.So they change ecu,cluster and same,could't connect.
When I tried today to connect-linking error.
On the dashboard show - engine system fault.And when key is off ignition on dashboard I see mileage.When ignition is on all works fine - dashes,all electrics.
Thanks for advices,I will go step by step through.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I did not understand everything you said; this makes it harder for me to help or to question exactly what you have done.

Other items to consider or check;

Fuse 48 = Data Link Connector

ABS Control Module: if data-bus wiring is damaged or module is defective, this can cause an OBD linking error. You can disconnect the connector at the module as a test. Module located at-> under Battery Junction Box.

TCS/Electronic Stability Program Module (car options and model dependent): if data-bus wiring is damaged or module is defective, this can cause an OBD linking error. You can disconnect the connector at the module as a test. Module located at-> under Battery Junction Box.

Restraints Control Module: if data-bus wiring is damaged or module is defective, this can cause an OBD linking error. You can disconnect the connector at the module as a test. Module located at-> under hand brake, center console.

Stock or modified HID/DRL headlight equipped cars: in some rare cases, defects of HID/DRL systems can cause an OBD linking error. You can disconnect the HID/DRL connectors or fuses as a test.

Edit: Also check health of wiring shown in the pics at this link (rear hatch door)->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4847909&postcount=5

·
Registered
54 Posts
Old thread but was trying to fix a dashes of death issue on my 2002 Zetec SE wagon. The rear hatch wiring went bad years ago and possibly killed my alternator and disabled by power locks. Can bad rear hatch wiring cause dashes of death aka DoD? I've cleaned the battery terminals and every ground run to chassis I couldfind including the two under the air filter box with no improvement.

Link to my troubleshooting thread. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...t/543346-2002-focus-se-no-start-no-crank.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have the same problem on y 2007 ford focus, the car will crank but not start, it says engine systems fault, computer cannot read ecu, i have tried everything from testing the ecu, cluster, fuses, relays, reprogramming, coded keys, wiring but the car will not start, the diagnostic machine cannot read the computer on the car, no signal going thru, i was told to scrap the car or sell it as is, this will really really break my heart and shatter me into pieces, any ideas,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts