Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some bigger tires a few months back and they were rubbing on me so I stop today and pick up some spring spacers just to bump it a little. The spacer is a little bigger than the gap on my spring so stick my fingers in there to see if I could spread them apart a bit, I pull my hand back a this is what happened

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Wow, never seen that happen. Spring looks bad to begin with imo. Which eibach do you have cuz they don't look like my eibach prokit springs.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sportlines are black ones? Do sudans and hatches have same springs

Sent from awesome iPhone app

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
my sportlines are red. its possible they were black a while ago?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey look at it this way, better now then when you're going down the freeway at 75 mph.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Look at the rust on the end of the spring. It was broke before you put your hand in there. Spring spacers are not the best idea either. They'll easily cause a spring to fatigue at the spacer and cause it to break just above or below the spacer location. Eibach Pros come in black.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dayum... that freaking sucks! I could imagined what would of happend if went with the ebay lowering springs. [:0]

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Sportlines are red. Any part numbers on them? Eibach always have numbers on them

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya there's numbers and it say Eibach right on them. It wasnt broke before my hand went in. I pull my hand out thank god and watched snap and kick side ways

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
I blame improper install.

Eibach's are coated in plastic. That rust has been there quite some time and weakened the spring. The only way that would happen is improper install or defective product, and I'd lean toward a pry-bar incident before I blamed a house-hold name product like Eibach.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The kit was on my car when I bought it 3 years ago. Pretty sure the guy before payed someone to install. I've never touched them. Why would u stick a pry bar in there any ways? I like Eibach stuff I was just surprised this happened

·
Banned
210 Posts
I've seen this happen with northern cars a few times, it's got nothing to do with Eibach.

Also those are not Sportline springs, it's the Eibach Pro-Kit.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Yeah, the coating that rubbed off and exposed the springs lead to rust, which lead to breaking. That isn't exactly a manufacturing defect.

Still, follow up with Eibach and see if you can file a warranty claim.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ya there's numbers and it say Eibach right on them. It wasnt broke before my hand went in. I pull my hand out thank god and watched snap and kick side ways

If you could see rust right after it broke then the fracture was already there. Could be that pulling your hand out dislodged the ends enough for them jump.

Any kind of inclusion in the spring will cause a stress riser that will eventually cause a fracture.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
o don't worry, alot of Eibach spring owners have this problem. this is the reason why i never bought a set of eibach.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts