Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is dirty and needs to be cleaned. My dad said he'd get stuff to clean it, but he wants to use kitchen towels nd dish soap. How can I convince him that you need to use products made for cars?

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
The dish soap will strip off the wax. and possible cause damage to the paint. kitchen towels are not soft enough for use on paint.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Use a dedicated car wash solution and good quality microfiber towels. That is a big step in the right direction.

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
microfibers and car wash soap arent much money and the dish soap will remove your wax and over time dry out the paint. and dish towelds will scratch your paint to some degree you get a rough dish towel and get to scrubbing on your paint it will atleast leave microscratches and swirl marks if your paint looks any kind of nice still do it right so it stays looking nice

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
The main issue with dish soap is that it lacks lubricity. Lubricity is what allows contaminants to glide over the finish instead of digging in. Using a car wash soap allows the dirt to slide over the surface because that's what it is designed to do. Dish soap isn't designed to do this, SO dirt and sand will dig into your paint causing scratches and swirls, etc.

Personally I've tried to strip wax off my car with dish soap and it didn't take it off in one go. I had to wash maybe 2-3 times before it removed it.

Dish towels?
[facepalm]

·
Registered
505 Posts
Let him wash his car with dish soap and dish towels, respectfully. As alluded to above, your car is better off dirty than cleaned his way. A ten dollar bill at Wally Mart should get you quality car wash and microfibers. If you have a Walgreens, they have a pack of 12 12in x 12 in miborfiber towels in their $5 bin.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got $20, think that's enough for some decent soap, microfiber towels, wax, and maybe some clay at Mal-Wart? What brands should I get? As can tell, I'm new to this whole detailing thing.[confused]

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wouldn't use dish soap. I had a friend who did, and he seemed to think it was worth it and that it worked. Never really found out the end results from him (from using it over a period of time), but my guess, as many others have said, is that it would probably do much more harm than good.

I mean, think about what dish soap is for. Cleaning... yes, but also it has detergents and chemicals to remove grease and grime, so think about what that will do to your car's paint. Not only that but as what was mentioned above about dirt being smeared around and scratching the paint up.

Like I said, I've never done it... never will just basically because dish soap in my mind is a harsh cleanser that will damage a painted surface. Get an actual car wash liquid and use that. It's probably about the same price, but far less harmful and it's meant to be used on a car's painted surface.
I do agree with the microfiber towels, and maybe a shammy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I bought some car soap and cleaned my mom's car with it, then waxed it. It looks great, and I'm going to do the same for my car soon.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Buy a $2. microfiber sponge from walmart and then just spend $2. at a car wash.

$1. to soap it up, rub it with the sponge to get off all the hard to get off bug guts and bird poo. Then rinse it off and haul ass home.

I bought a microfiber towel from walmart but i also use $2. beach towels from walmart also.

I dry in sections, and in sections of the towel. Folded in forth then dry a section, flip it dry another section, turn it inside out and repeat.

IMO when its folded in forths its less likely to drag on the ground and pickup crap off the ground.

·
Registered
724 Posts
After washing I use a surgical silicone squeegie from California Car Cover Co to dry the car. Works much better than a chamois and you can dry the car in 1/3 the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My car is dirty and needs to be cleaned. My dad said he'd get stuff to clean it, but he wants to use kitchen towels nd dish soap. How can I convince him that you need to use products made for cars?
hi my name is glen i am a auto detailer do not use dish soap it will take off the wax if you use it . dish soap is not meet for car washing . the best car soap is meguiars deep crystal that what i use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts