Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most people here, I want free some hp/tq from their engines, but this focus will be a daily driver for me so I dont want to go too extreme like a turbo or nitrous. What is a realistic number from a n/a 2.0 duratec? I would love to get in the 160-170 hp range.

·
Registered
768 Posts
hey check out the topic Daily Driver ZX3 it has alot of good info.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
160-170n/a hp is gonna start to put you out of the daily driver range, well wheel hp that is

·
Registered
440 Posts
170 hp will be cams, intake, exhaust, and a tune. that will be about 170-180 hp but like 140-150 hp to the wheeles. add a throttle body gives you like 2 hp but helps out your throttle responds pretty much makes you quicker. and a great pair of tires to back it all up or youll just waste your money.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
also forgot about intake manifold, and i dont know if you count a header as exhaust. i mean i know its apart of the exhaust. but if you just get an exhaust, then get a header you'll see an increase when you get the header.

:EDIT: deleted items. read they were on a 2.3 duratec. *sigh*.

but a header will still increase power.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
IF you're considering a header at any point, then you probably want to purchase the TruBendz exhaust system because their kits come with a pipe to replace the 2nd cat. This will help you with installing a header because if you care about emmissions legality at all, it will give you the flange & pipe you need to put 2 high flow cats made for your pipe size after the header. Using the stock 2nd cat would be a bottleneck.

I believe it's Dynamax that makes all sizes high flow Cats in stainless for $150 that you can get on www.summitracing.com.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ right on thats great advice, i thought it would be a pain to swap out headers every time I needed to smog it, but that sounds like an ideal setup.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i have the 2.5 stainless flex back exhaust from trubendz, its ncie, the magnaflow muffler sounds awesome, my car growls nicely. but i have to admit the quality isnt the greatest. i was kinda disappointed when they left scratch marks where the piping was bent. but oh well. no one really sees it and i only got stainless so it wouldnt rust.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you know if the piping was mandrel bent or not? I could care less about scratches as long as its a mandrel bent pipe.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
whynotthinkwhynot said:
IF you're considering a header at any point, then you probably want to purchase the TruBendz exhaust system because their kits come with a pipe to replace the 2nd cat. This will help you with installing a header because if you care about emmissions legality at all, it will give you the flange & pipe you need to put 2 high flow cats made for your pipe size after the header. Using the stock 2nd cat would be a bottleneck.

I believe it's Dynamax that makes all sizes high flow Cats in stainless for $150 that you can get on www.summitracing.com.
The focussport system also comes with a resonator type thing to replace the second CAT... How would I go about installing high-flow CATS on my 06 ST?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
you guys realize that you cannot replace cat's on a car until the car is 7 years old?

and becuase you are changing the location of the cat's you are still tampering with emissions....

the first cat is in the header for a reason... cats work best when HOT....

and btw you'll never pass visual with a header

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
you guys realize that you cannot replace cat's on a car until the car is 7 years old?

and btw you'll never pass visual with a header
Absolutely true ^^^^

To install cats you'd have to cut into the pipe with the flange designed to replace the exhaust up to the flex pipe/exhaust manifold which is one part on our cars unless you have a PZEV motor. The pipe I'm referring to is the one that would make the car "race only". Be sure to familiarize yourself with the emissions testing in your area so you don't end up wasting money or being fined. If you're only going through a sniffer test, then you might be able to swing it with tuning, but NO header will pass a visual test even with cats installed to replace the stock cats. Also with the installation of a header, your computer WILL throw a CEL if you don't have the right tune.

The stock exhaust manifold on the non-PZEV motors and the ST is a good manifold despite the ceramic converter material inside it. Other FF's have replaced the 2nd cat with a high flow aftermarket cat with good hp returns, but I don't think any of these people live in places with emissions testing. For example, I don't have to go through emissions testing so long as I live outside Memphis city limits.

There are many options when it comes to exhaust, so shop and plan carefully. I'm dabbling around to figure out how to replace my exhaust, and add flanges to make shade-tree removal and re-installation possible. I also have a wagon, so exhaust is a custom project for me.

One good reason to do any kind of exhaust is fuel economy. I've been doing tests, and the contributors with exhaust are getting 3-5 mpg better than anyone else with just cat-backs.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you kidding me!! You cant replace the cat with a high flow cat, like a catco convertor? Thats lame. makes me a sad panda, and throws a wrench in my plans.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That's why I go tthe MBRP Exhaust, you can modify it to KEEP the 2nd cat.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Drop your head under the car and look at the 2nd cat. It's already better than most Catco cats, and similar in design to older high flow cats. The cat that does the most work is the one in the manifold.

BTW, Fredness there is the one I was talking about getting 3-5 mpg better than the rest of us with a cat-back exhaust. MBRP is definately worth checking out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
from what i was told are cats or not restrtive which is a great thing!! but i dont know how true it is so...

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
2nd_to_none said:
from what i was told are cats or not restrtive which is a great thing!! but i dont know how true it is so...
I doubt the cats are as restrictive as the older cats because by now manufacturers have learned how to make cats that do what they are supposed to do without as much restriction as the older cats from the 80's that seemed to cause more pollution than they solved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts