Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I installed a push button start on my 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 with a little help from Amazon and YouTube. Before we ask, NO I do not have to insert a key into the ignition to push start my car. YES I must depress the clutch(manual 5 speed) to start the vehicle. NO there is no factory immobilizer in my car. NO you cannot just “hop in and steal it”. The ignition system is wired with a transceiver that blocks the start of the vehicle unless it registers an RFID signal from a small blue chit on my keys.

The push start button is: https://www.amazon.com/BANVIE-Immobilizer-Keyless-Vehicle-Protection/dp/B076BCX85B/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_pd_title

To bypass the PATS system- WITHOUT duct tape or sticking a key in my steering column I used Banvie’s immobilizer bypass module for a modest $12: https://www.amazon.com/BANVIE-Universal-Immobilizer-Transponder-Release/dp/B075TH5B91/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_pd_title

Both units are wired directly to 12V constant ignition wires so no need for switches or relays.

The PATS bypass allows you to use a cut key to start the car if you only have 1 chip key like I did.

However, to bypass Ford’s factory immobilizer, I removed the ignition cylinder using this method: https://youtu.be/7JtB0tBg9qA

THE IGNITION SWITCH MUST BE DETACHED FROM THE TUMBLER. Otherwise, your Focus will be stuck in a constant “on” state.

The wiring diagram for a 2001 Ford Focus was readily available at: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.aspx

They also have diagrams for many different vehicles.

The ignition barrel should be kept in a secure location so it doesn’t get lost. I will upload pictures of the setup asap.

Note: If you try this and ruin your car’s ignition, it is not my fault. I am not a professional auto installer. I have zero experience with this sort of thing. I’m just an 18 y/o kid who likes to play with wires.

Also, if you REALLY wanted, you could use a relay to rig a clutch bypass. (NOT recommended. If you leave your car in gear it WILL jump forward and due to the clutch bypass it will not stall)

See the button in action: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtoj7d6lirucnxw/First Start With Push button.mp4?dl=0

If you give this a shot and everything works out, post a few pics. They’d be very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nice Job, More pictures would be handy. be interesting to see if i can adapt this to my 2005.

also should mention that the column will turn with the engine off. no more locking column...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice Job, More pictures would be handy. be interesting to see if i can adapt this to my 2005.

also should mention that the column will turn with the engine off. no more locking column...
Yes. that’s what i meant with the “factory immobilizer” comment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Cylinder removal and ignition switch wiring are identical from ‘01-‘07. The button and bypass should work perfectly with your focus. It’s the same as mine. You may need to wire the brake wire to 12 V constant considering brake lights won’t test unless your lights switch is turned on(unnecessary for EVERY start).

·
Registered
16,311 Posts
You haven't bypassed PATS if you still need a chip to start the car. All you did was to substitute another transceiver for the hard location one already in car.

·
Registered
215 Posts
and the bad part is RFID included with the button start kit is EASILY hackable, so you got convenience but an easily stealable car now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
REAL push start in an ‘01 ZX3. Pics included

and the bad part is RFID included with the button start kit is EASILY hackable, so you got convenience but an easily stealable car now.
Not too worried about theft. RFID might be easily hacced but not many people these days can drive a manual. I mean shit i drive a 5 Speed so you could steal it without a key without any type of techy know how. She hasn’t been stolen yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You haven't bypassed PATS if you still need a chip to start the car. All you did was to substitute another transceiver for the hard location one already in car.
“bypass” is a funny word. but i can still use a cut key to start my car. Frankly i like the convenience. Throw my keys in the cup holder and start my car. Not really worried about PATS since I have like 5 baccup keys and still use the push button.

·
Registered
16,311 Posts
It's not funny if one pays attention to english and the correct use of words to create actual fact. A lost art today. At least to the 40%.

We old farts had pushbutton back in the '60s and fail to grasp what all the button hoopla is about............hype that accomplishes nothing, the tech is 75 years old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts