212 Posts
I haven't seen that one yet, thanks.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Stopping distance

Nice article.
The article mentions the ti's 18" wheel combo stopping in 111 feet
I never read how many feet the sel or ti with the 17" wheels and all season tires stops in. Anyone know?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good stuff, with the notable exception of one of my pet peeves. Just because the writer struggled with the steep end of the learning curve in the course of testing over a few days does not imply that MFT is hard to use. "Ease of learning" is not the same thing as "ease of use". Ask any Unix geek. [:D]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice article.
The article mentions the ti's 18" wheel combo stopping in 111 feet
I never read how many feet the sel or ti with the 17" wheels and all season tires stops in. Anyone know?
Cobie56 -- In the September 2011 issue of Consumer Reports - They compared a 2012 Focus SE Sedan - 2012 Focus SEL Hatch - 2012 Kia Forte EX - and 2012 Honda Civic LX.

On page 60 - they have this chart/ratings of all 4 cars and also how they handled 'braking' from 60mph and in dry/wet conditions.

if you want the actual figures I have them.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Good stuff, with the notable exception of one of my pet peeves. Just because the writer struggled with the steep end of the learning curve in the course of testing over a few days does not imply that MFT is hard to use. "Ease of learning" is not the same thing as "ease of use". Ask any Unix geek. [:D]
True. With an updated MFT in the car, it's not hard to use at all.. and hell, I mean I'm 20 and I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, but the MFT system was actually easier to get to know than my sisters Pioneer double din in her Scion... this thing is color coordinated and easy to control. I have no trouble reading the font sizes and havent had any issues finding what i need to find.

it's all laid out pretty logically if you ask me

·
Registered
234 Posts
I hope that the test results showing that the Focus was 8.9 seconds 0-60 will stop some of the silly talk of the Focus being a "performance" car. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
True. With an updated MFT in the car, it's not hard to use at all.. and hell, I mean I'm 20 and I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, but the MFT system was actually easier to get to know than my sisters Pioneer double din in her Scion... this thing is color coordinated and easy to control. I have no trouble reading the font sizes and havent had any issues finding what i need to find.

I agree...it really surprises me that people find MFT so difficult. Anyone who uses a smartphone or computer should be able to figure it out, even if there is a brief learning curve.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find it interesting that the Focus did better in the mileage tests (27mpg average) vs. the Elantra (23.6mpg average) even though the Elantra has a higher EPA rating of 29 city/40 highway versus 27 city/37 highway for the Focus.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I find it interesting that the Focus did better in the mileage tests (27mpg average) vs. the Elantra (23.6mpg average) even though the Elantra has a higher EPA rating of 29 city/40 highway versus 27 city/37 highway for the Focus.

I agree -- Very interesting indeed! Leading one to ask - Where does the gas disappear to (if that is the case)?

·
Registered
968 Posts
C&D got better mileage with a Focus SEL than the Elantra Limited over their 400 mile test

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
683 Posts
I haven't seen that one yet, thanks.
Same here ... good find and a decent review that's not suprisingly consistent with other reviews. Seems like we have a winner here!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks for posting this as it nails exactly why I bought the Focus over the Elantra. I think if they had the Hatch, they would have given it the looks nod also. Consumer Reports rates cars like they do washing machines. Primarily a value proposition without much value given to looks or fun to drive factor and that's fine but, not what I look for in a car.

I hope that the test results showing that the Focus was 8.9 seconds 0-60 will stop some of the silly talk of the Focus being a "performance" car. :)
Duh![???:)] Troll? I haven't seen anyone saying its gonna outrun the plethora of available cars with twice the horsepower. Just that it has good performance compared to similar cars with a reasonable price and 38 MPG. The Focus ST (out next year) will serve those who want some real power, have the cash and own stock in the oil companies.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thanks for posting this as it nails exactly why I bought the Focus over the Elantra. I think if they had the Hatch, they would have given it the looks nod also. Consumer Reports rates cars like they do washing machines. Primarily a value proposition without much value given to looks or fun to drive factor and that's fine but, not what I look for in a car.

Duh![???:)] Troll? I haven't seen anyone saying its gonna outrun the plethora of available cars with twice the horsepower. Just that it has good performance compared to similar cars with a reasonable price and 38 MPG. The Focus ST (out next year) will serve those who want some real power, have the cash and own stock in the oil companies.
C&D timed a 7.3 second 0-60 run in a 5-speed SE sport... not sports car fast, but faster than the average $20k economy car. Can't wait to see what the ST will do when it gets here, just hope they don't load it to the point where it costs Mustang GT money.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
215 Posts

Most of the complaints about the complaints of MFT are strawman arguments.

For example:
CR criticized MFT, but they also said exactly what you just said in your post: the controls are logically laid out, etc. So if they agree with you about the layout and color-coding, that means that their complaint must be about something different that what you are addressing. Specifically, they think there are too many touches involved to do simple tasks & that menus are used where they don't need to be used. I tend to agree. If MFT could be used with fewer screen changes, it would be faster, more direct, & simpler.

·
Registered
234 Posts
C&D timed a 7.3 second 0-60 run in a 5-speed SE sport... not sports car fast, but faster than the average $20k economy car. Can't wait to see what the ST will do when it gets here, just hope they don't load it to the point where it costs Mustang GT money.

Posted via FF Mobile
The C&D time must have been with a rollout. There's no way that the Focus will do 0-60 in 7.3 seconds regardless of the transmission being used. It's simply a matter of horsepower to weight ratio.

I'm not here to trash talk the Focus, I really like it. However, it's an economy car with reasonably good performance, not a sports car, so I just find all of the hand wringing about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times humorous.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not here to trash talk the Focus, I really like it. However, it's an economy car with reasonably good performance, not a sports car, so I just find all of the hand wringing about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times humorous.
Any reasonable (read sensible) person on this board does not believe that a Focus is a sports car. I think you're misunderstanding the referencing of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for something else.

Not sure why this is being made such a big deal in more than one thread [???:)]

·
Registered
968 Posts
The C&D time must have been with a rollout. There's no way that the Focus will do 0-60 in 7.3 seconds regardless of the transmission being used. It's simply a matter of horsepower to weight ratio.

I don't think C&D would alter their testing procedure just so they could claim more favorable numbers. And according to one of the members here, the Focus makes more power than Ford claims (they put it on a dyno and made 148whp/143lb-ft). Also, the 5-speed weighs less (than the automatic) and hits 60mph in second gear, so I don't think a 7.3 second time is unbelievable.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think C&D would alter their testing procedure just so they could claim more favorable numbers. And according to one of the members here, the Focus makes more power than Ford claims (they put it on a dyno and made 148whp/143lb-ft). Also, the 5-speed weighs less (than the automatic) and hits 60mph in second gear, so I don't think a 7.3 second time is unbelievable.
Posted via FF Mobile
Unbelievable? Perhaps not. But I'd call it pretty optimistic considering Consumer Reports clocked the 0-60 at 9.3 seconds for the automatic. Faster than a Prius and Corolla! [:)]

1 - 20 of 56 Posts