Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok!! So where should I start. I have a 2008 Ford Focus SE, bought it March 2008, have had problems from day 1 and Ford can't manage to fix it. I now have 24K miles on my car and the problems are worse and I get the same response "we can't duplicate the problem".

Problem 1: My suspension is TRASH! It has made creeking noises since day 1. The 1st time I took it in they had to oil something inside...well problem with that according to my personal mechanic is that it's a sealed part and you cant put oil in it. The 2nd time, they couldn't find a problem, 3rd time they had to cut something down that was coming in contact with the suspension, 4th time, I need an alignment. Btw, throw in that at 24K miles I need 4 new tires because they are ALL worn on the INSIDE! You can see by looking at my back tires that the car bowes in, even the tire place I went to said it was mechanical. And of course Ford wont do anything about it.. Come on now!!

Problem 2: This lovely ticking noise in my engine. Dealer 1 says it's the fuel rail vibrating, excuse 1: it's supposed to do that. excuse 2: we don't know how to fix it, we've contacted the manufacturer. Dealer 2 installs a fuel rail insulator. Noise still there!!

Problem 3: MY ENGINE SHAKES! so this one just recently started, the engine shakes...BAD...and when you turn the car off, the engine continues to shake for about 10 seconds, sounds like it's still running....Dealer says, "we can't duplicate the problem".

so tell me, does anyone else have these problems or something similar? If so how did you get the dealer to actually do something about it? I am so ready to drive this thing off a cliff it's not even funny. A friend of mine has a 2008 Focus SES and has had multiple problems as well and recently got hers lemon lawed here in Cali. Does mine qualify?

Thanks!
Shannon

·
Slow n lifted
10,570 Posts
well problem 2 is your injectors ticking.

problem 3 could be bad motor mounts.

If you have had 10 problems that are the same occur with no resolve i would look into the lemon law! you will either get the market value for the car or a new one i believe it will be whichever will cost them less

·
Registered
689 Posts
My wife's 08 SE has the injector ticking, but other than that her car is one of the smoothest cars I have ever driven.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Problem 1: Sorry, but I'm having difficulty understanding this one. You say the tires bow to the inside, but the tires wear on the inside. If you have camber (tilt of the wheel) problems that cause the tires to point to the middle of the car (bow in, as you wrote) then that would cause the outside of the tires to wear- not the inside. We are relating the inside and outside to the vehicle body. Positive camber: tire tilts to the inside, negative camber: tire tilts to the outside. You're basically describing a positive camber problem with negative camber results- how badly does it shake at high speeds?

2) Ticking sounds are the fuel injectors. Sorry, but all cars have them. Some tick louder than others. It's not vehicle or manufacturer specific either. These things are thrown together on an assembly line, and sometimes some are within specs but make "sounds". A deeper sound like a clack could also be normal depending on the engine design. Focis- for example- have mechanical valve action, and are therefore louder than cars which have hydraulic valve action.

3) I'd like to see a video of this violent shaking. I've never known any fuel injected vehicle to act like this. What you're describing is dieseling. It's when an engine continues to run after it's shut off. That's the only way that it would continue to shake for 10 seconds after you shut the car off. Even a horribly bad motor mount would stop shaking quicker than 10 secs after the engine was shut off- when I write horribly bad, I mean the engine is nearly falling out of the car as it's running.

4) The best thing to do is take it somewhere and trade it in on another car. Nobody can reproduce the problems you're having, so maybe the stars were not right when you purchased the car. Have you re-arranged your house recently? I'm thinking Feng Shui chi flows are blocked somehow. Orientals believe that you can increase the life of your car by filling the back window and shelf with toy animals. I've even seen some older cars in Hong Kong with dashboards covered with glued down miniatures. There's some sort of new moving chi flow that must be addressed I believe. Maybe consulting the I-Ching will provide an answer.

Seriously, best of luck, and hopefully you can laugh about that last one some day.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Ok!! So where should I start. I have a 2008 Ford Focus SE, bought it March 2008, have had problems from day 1 and Ford can't manage to fix it. I now have 24K miles on my car and the problems are worse and I get the same response "we can't duplicate the problem".
I have a 2008 coupe SES that I bought in March of 2008 and currently have about 32,000 on it.

Problem 1: My suspension is TRASH! It has made creeking noises since day 1. The 1st time I took it in they had to oil something inside...well problem with that according to my personal mechanic is that it's a sealed part and you cant put oil in it. The 2nd time, they couldn't find a problem, 3rd time they had to cut something down that was coming in contact with the suspension, 4th time, I need an alignment. Btw, throw in that at 24K miles I need 4 new tires because they are ALL worn on the INSIDE! You can see by looking at my back tires that the car bowes in, even the tire place I went to said it was mechanical. And of course Ford wont do anything about it.. Come on now!!
Take it to the dealer and ask if you can get an SES suspension upgrade, it will give you better handling and changing the parts might fix something that may or may not be wrong with it. Ask them if the upgrade can be done for the cost of the headaches you have had with the car so far.

Problem 2: This lovely ticking noise in my engine. Dealer 1 says it's the fuel rail vibrating, excuse 1: it's supposed to do that. excuse 2: we don't know how to fix it, we've contacted the manufacturer. Dealer 2 installs a fuel rail insulator. Noise still there!!
The ticking noise is from the fuel injectors, it is actually the sound they make when they are firing. This has been common on fuel injection cars, trucks, and SUVs since the fuel injection system was introduced on some as early as 1986. My 1987 Ranger would sound like the lifters were about to fall out of the lifter valley and into the crankcase when the engine had been running for awhile. My cousin in Cheyenne, Wyoming actually had Ford rebuild the motor in his 1989 Ranger three times trying to fix it and it was still there. This is a problem you do not need to worry about.

Problem 3: MY ENGINE SHAKES! so this one just recently started, the engine shakes...BAD...and when you turn the car off, the engine continues to shake for about 10 seconds, sounds like it's still running....Dealer says, "we can't duplicate the problem".
This could be due to poor gas (gas quality drops in the winter to reduce emissions) or a motor mount broke or is coming apart. Try adding some fuel treatment and change the fuel filter.

so tell me, does anyone else have these problems or something similar? If so how did you get the dealer to actually do something about it? I am so ready to drive this thing off a cliff it's not even funny. A friend of mine has a 2008 Focus SES and has had multiple problems as well and recently got hers lemon lawed here in Cali. Does mine qualify?

Thanks!
Shannon
Mine has been flawless. The tires are showing some signs of wear, but they do have 32,000 miles on them and I don't hot rod around town or try to take every corner and curve at top speed. I would suggest you be a little more level headed and take it to a different dealer. Maybe you are looking for things to discredit the car, maybe blowing a squeaky spring (because you drove the car through salt water) and the car needs a good cleaning underneath.

And maybe whynot is right, you need to re-align your chi.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Here we go again. Did you try another dealer, or phone the Ford customer service 1-800 number listed in your Owner's/Warranty Book? If you haven't done that......do it. Calmly explain what has been going with the car and with the dealer, but make it quite clear that if these issues are not addressed to your satisfaction that this will be your last Ford. All the issues that you appear to have are not even close to being normal (including the bogus "injector noise") and you shouldn't have to put up with them.

·
Registered
854 Posts
next time you go to the dealer, ask them if you can drive the mechanic around so you can reproduce the sound. if you are hearing it all the time and they dont hear it once isnt this the next logical step?

·
love my red focus
1,793 Posts
that 08' is a lemon then

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
it looks like that car is a lemon car. trade it in for other car.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
call the warranty 1-800 number and explain, try for a lemon, or trade it in.

this is why i steer clear of the 1st year of production from cars....

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
1. Most likely the Sway Bar End Links. For many years now Ford has used a plastic bushing in them. The use it becuae of the durability of the design and the fact that most people don't know how to grease a bushing anymore, which makes it ware faster and causes more problems.
Parts from Moog have solved this in older models. Possibly it may help you also. Roughly $35 for the pair.

The tire ware and alignment I'm sceptical about. For the rear tires to ware like you're describing is almost impossible with stock suspension. The rear does a ver good job of keeping the tire flat to the road at any load. So for it to ware excessivly on the inside is quite odd. All I can really think this may be is the tire and lack of rotating them (I see no mention of you having the tires rotated).

2. Most likely injector tick. May be something else but as new as your car is it's the most likely explination.

3. As stated that would be dieseling and virtually unheard of in the fuel injected world. With a card it was generally way advanced timing and residual heat and fuel in the manifold. This does not happen with fuel injection though. When you turn the key off it removes power from the injectors and the ignition, so there is no way they could fire and continue to run. *Except if that circuit is manfunctioning. I really doubt that though as what it would all entail.

My guess is that your buddy that got a new car and now you want one also and are coming up with trivial problems to get one. I am hopefully wrong but today it seems keeping with the Smith's and monkey see monkey do are quite common.

As far as the Lemon Law is concerned it is generally 3 identical repairs (documented) and on the 4th you are eligible. It's not something where you are eligible if you keep complaining and a tech is not able to replicate the problem and cannot fix it or if something has only been repaired a time or two. It does vary state to state though and you'd be best to Google you local state law on the subject. I would for you but I am not sure what state you are in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had only one problem with my Focus, dealer currently has it to fix. I am confident that they will fix the problem with the water in my floor. As far as your car, #1 how bad are the roads you travel? That will play in the way your suspension and tires wear. #2 I can hear my injectors firing, at least it is not the piston slap my Silverado has. #3 Use better gas, that would be the only reason for the engine bucking that I can think of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts