Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so like the title says I'm ready to do some engine mods but i don't know were to start...i already have a DIY SRI...and i know i should get a new exhaust system but after that I'm stumped...i would like to go FI one day but not until the car is paid off and i have another car as a daily driver...so what else would i need to do?

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
do you want to go supercharged or turbo?
if super then you can get the SVT headers and flex and High flow cat or test pipe, also get new spark plug wires from taylor cable in the 8.2mm design, motorcraft copper plugs gapped to .060, suspension is another great place to go like the svt or frpp depending on what kind of drop you want. a new shifter and stronger clutch will add to the thriill of driving. btw i would ditch the sri and get the svt intake or a voolant, or the aem which i love on my car. also you may want to look at a 65mm TB and an intake manifold. new cams and cam gears depending on what future holds. but FR head is a great add to any type of focus.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
depends on ur budget. Definitely go w/ a 2.5 inch exhaust. its good for NA/Boosted applications. get a matching flex. Stay away from cams if you plan on going boosted, they will only hurt boost. and if you are going to stay on stock internals, then you really don't need a FR head. you can easily make 240 ish whp, which is close to the max on stock internals w/o using a FR head. if you are staying NA, get the FR head for sure. unless you can find a cheap used header, i wouldn't waste ur money if you are eventually going to go boosted. guys on here have made 240 on almost completely stock. I know a guy who Tom tuned and is making 265 whp 260 wtq @ 15 psi and is on completely stock except for the exhaust which is a roush. so decide what you are going to do first. no need for purchasing parts twice.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
For a turbo or supercharger heres the basic engine mods you'll want to maximize your potential. Cam gears, Dyno tune, 2.5 to 3.0 inch exhaust (from header back), and a 2000 ported intake mani. There are a lot of things but these are the simpler non expensize things. This should get you on your way!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the suspension is all done...mlbbaseball,what did they do to make that kind of horsepower?...and i for sure want to go FI (turbo) one day.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
haha, ALOT!! lol,

I have

Crower II Cams
FR valvetrain
FR head
Adj. Cam gears
Head decked .050 w/ a HG of .017 (10.77:1 CR), 5 angle vavle job.
FocusSport 4-1 race header
Trubenz 2.5 inch flex
Borla 2.5 inch exhaust
Ported 2000 IM
Steeda 65mm TB
AEM CAI w/ Bypass valve
Ford Racing Oil pump
SVTF fuel pump,
180 * thermostate.
EGR delete
Custom Tune
30 lb injectors
steeda fuel rail

then to put the power to the ground i have spec 3+ clutch and 9 lb spec flywheel, and a Torsen TBD.

If you are gonna go FI, do you plan on going over 240 whp??

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i would like to be close to 270hp-300hp...somewhere around there...if possible.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
to push that kind of power, you HAVE to do an engine build, the stock rods of the zetec cannot hold that kind of power. to do that kind of power, you may as well go w/ the FR head, you can prolly get that at about 17 psi w/ a built low comp motor and a decent turbo.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
I'd say start with a slow and well spent NA build....and buy the time you go FI you'll know a lot more about your motor.

I'm still finishing a 3 year NA build.... (As a poor college student that's not really much lol)

I've done the following (in order and price of the mods)

AEM SRI- $150
FocusSport 8mm wires: $60
JBA Shorty Header: $200
Random Tech Cat: $200 (Used)
Bosal Flex: $100 (Used
Focus Sport Stealth Exhaust: $150 (Used)
CFM 65mm TB: $100 (Used)
Ford Racing Stg 2 Cams: $125 (Clearance)
Fidanza Cam Gears: $175

I'm ordering my tune from Tom next week to finish her off until I can afford to go FI. My plans are to go Supercharged though.... not turbo.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ktwelsch, what kind of HP are you putting to the ground with all that?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
If you are going turbo, I would start with the 3" magnaflow trubendz setup, 65 or 67mm TB, VF engine mounts, motorcraft Copper core plugs, FR plugs wires, and maybe cam gears. Other then that start saving for all the other parts you will need for a turbo, like the actual turbo kit (i.e. Tom's DIY Kit), injectors, BOV, wastegate, clutch, Torsen or Quaife etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts