Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Good info! I was just using my 3 ton stands today. My part number doesn't match, I think mine are older than the ones they specify. I'm still going to take them there and ask. Not something I want to play around with and it's better safe than dead. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks man!! I always use two sets just in case. One set holds the weight of the vehicle while the second set sets as close to the vehicle as possible w/o bearing any weight.

If anything about the process I use is flawed, please let me know.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,423 Posts
I always put something additional under the car just in case. A cinder block, log, or even one of my wheels if I have them off. My uncle and a friend were working in his driveway and the car fell. It killed my uncle's friend.

·
Registered
16,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I once stupidly used a jack only and a long time ago. Thinking 'this won't take but a minute'. Out from under car looking at something I just removed when suddenly the jack blew a seal and the car sat down. Sat down quick, as Jack and Jane in the second grade reader would have said. It kind of freaked me out there for a time, you think some pretty weird things. It was a cheap Chinese value jack.

Never again.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have an older set of these and has to replace what should have been spring pins where they were assembled using wire instead of the hardened pins....these attach the paw to the rod that goes through them. Not that much of a safety issue though.

I ALWAYS use a backup support of some type when getting under a car...once had a hydraulic jack decide to drop by itself when it ran low on fluid. Keep a big selection of wood blocks of various sizes. DO NOT use hollow type concrete blocks...they can break under load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts