Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys i just got a set of 6 spoke svt wheels on ebay, and the condition they are in, i wanted them to be repainted and repairing of the curb rash....

fixing the curb rash possible?

its not that bad, but 1 wheels goes 1/5 around the wheels edge.
and the previouse owner super glued the center cap to 1 of them now WTF with that?....

-Bunna

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
well if the road rash isn't that bad, you could just sand/file the road rash down and then fill it with bondo, than sand again. Keep in mind that after you do this, you have to paint them again, but since you said you wanted to paint them anyways, there you go man! Easy fix!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if bondoing is done ( how common is this method) whats the life span on the rims before i see some kind of cracking at the bondo site?

and what about the super glued center cap, any idea how i can at this?

----

this is concerns in the out edge of the rims... how would i know that i lined/smoothed things out to perfection after this method is done?

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you properly clean all the areas, paint it properly in the right conditions, clear it, and use good quality paint, the bondo paint clear method should last many years and show no signs. After you paint them, let them cure for a few days before you put them on the vehicle. I would also let them cure for about two to three months and then I would throw a few coats of wax on them and re-wax once or twice a year.

The super glued center cap is going to be difficult. I would try to get some glue off or some type of glue remover behind it and then try to pry at it but be gentle. Thats my best guess but its hard to say. But you can scratch the rim a little since your going to be painting them anywhere so thats a good thing. I also believe center caps are like ten bucks so if you destroy it, its not a super expensive fix.

·
Registered
332 Posts
well if you are going to re paint you might as well use some acetone to get the glue off should come off clean

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
i dont think sanding material off the rim would be a good idea...it could throw the wheel way out of balance.
i dont have any personal experiance so i cant be positive but thats my first thought

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
i dont think sanding material off the rim would be a good idea...it could throw the wheel way out of balance.
i dont have any personal experiance so i cant be positive but thats my first thought
I can't imagine just sanding off the rough bits will throw off the balance enough to matter. It'll get re-balanced anyway next time tires are put on it

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
either way tho, im gunna be mounting tires in the summer time and getting ot balanced UP...

this is my project for the remainder of winter.

----

where can i pick up that acetone? ill just get new center caps... even if it don't say svt on them...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
dude are those dogs or cats?

i bought wheels from tire rack for 800 dollors they were really smooth even though i didnt have it ,then the wheels were 18" by 7" and i could coast for 15 miles i did my homework on which wheels coast freely and the are the asa ar1
from tire rack.where did you get your wheels and what size are they?[wave]

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
do not use bondo, very bad idea, use jb weld instead search for the repair how to if not i know fj has one and the guys method worked great i plan on using it on a set of rims i have

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
I think autotopia has a very popular aritcle on this subject.
Some shop may use older equipment that will rub the edge of the rim and could fracture any filling product you use, so be careful who you let work on your wheels after you make the repair.

I reccomend not using bondo brand body filler, the 3m body filler is a much better product. That said, I would investigate alternatives to tradional body filler, you may want something harder and more durable on there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts