Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I'm a new owner of a 2002 Focus and new to this forum, let me give a little background, I purchased the car from a nice young lady about 1 month ago, this car has a fresh reman SPI with about 15,000 miles, I finally got around to changing the engine oil and filter, to my surprise I needed 5 quarts in order for oil to reach just below the min line on the dipstick. I know these engines are only supposed to take 4 qts. I checked the part number on the dipstick and it's correct, the dipstick tube seems correct??? but I haven't taken it off the engine to check. The one dealer close to my house told me it should be 4 qts. The lady has no clue she just took the car for oil changes.... Does anyone have a clue to this mystery.... Could it be Ford uses a larger oil pan for reman engines??? any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. [???:)]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 02 SVT Focus takes 5 quarts. Should be the same.
Thanks for your reply, not the case with the SPI... I just got done figuring out the problem, as I mentioned in my previous post had not checked the dipstick tube, this afternoon I raised the Focus and felt for the Dtube to be seated properly into block (can't see it due to it being behind the right axle bracket). To my surprise it was about 3/4in. out, I proceeded to remove the Dtube and found it to be damaged enough so it wouldn't go all the way in, fortunately my local dealer had one in stock ($13.47 + tax). All told it was a 5 min. job. What irks me the most is thinking about the Ford Dealer Tech who swapped this engine in, he obviously knew the Dtube was damaged if he didn't damage it himself, yet he shipped out to the customer in this condition. As mentioned in this forum and other places overfilling an SPI is asking for trouble, these engines are bad enough without any added help [}:)]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts