Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

So, I got the car (2003 2.3L PZEV) with a short ram installed, no stock air box. Smogged fine 3x, but now getting attitude. Got a used stock air box resonator etc. yay.

I can figure out where mostly everything goes, though a little handicapped since I didn't take it all out in the first place & don't know what got re-routed or removed.

There is an inlet nipple on the resonator just under the air restriction gauge. What goes here? My Ford shop books says nothing. can't find diagrams of the tubing anywhere. Pretty sure it's not vacuum, but could be wrong?

I guess I can't post an image yet.

oh how I hate that I have to do this. hoping to come across a used Cosworth soon.

Thanks...

Thanks for any help

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Upload pictures to photobucket or imageshack and then post the

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, giving photobucket a shot... let's see if this works...

BTW, I did read the intake sticky :) and tried searching, but being unsure what that connection is for makes it kinda hard to pinpoint

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Folks,

So, I got the car (2003 2.3L PZEV) with a short ram installed, no stock air box. Smogged fine 3x, but now getting attitude. Got a used stock air box resonator etc. yay.

I can figure out where mostly everything goes, though a little handicapped since I didn't take it all out in the first place & don't know what got re-routed or removed.

There is an inlet nipple on the resonator just under the air restriction gauge. What goes here? My Ford shop books says nothing. can't find diagrams of the tubing anywhere. Pretty sure it's not vacuum, but could be wrong?

I guess I can't post an image yet.

oh how I hate that I have to do this. hoping to come across a used Cosworth soon.

Thanks...

Thanks for any help
Nothing. I have an '05 and nothing goes there. By the way you can clamp a cone filter to the end of the MAF and make a "Stealth Cold Air Intake" no one will see it when they open the hood, it looks stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh. a whole lotta nada goes there eh? makes me feel so confident about the "restriction" gauge... haha. always good, even if a bird is in there.

And, what you describe, a K&N attached to the stock MAF is what I'm removing, as the smog guys gave me crap about what the CARB number was on it.

they actually tried to run the Ford part numbers on the MAF on the CARB website. yeah. dealing with geniuses here. [?|]

so bummed & not looking forward to where all those bolts are located. especially since it's lowered.

thanks for the confirmation. [ffrocks]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I think that fitting should go to one of the two vacuum lines on the front of the intake manifold assuming I'm thinking of it right, otherwise my initial thought was that it should go to the valve cover breather

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the valve cover breather tube goes into a small elbow attached on the big accordion connection with the hose clamp directly above that restriction gauge.

if there is a vacuum line that goes in the small connection below, i wonder where it is now... current set up only has valve cover breather & MAF sensor on it... ugh.

·
Registered
872 Posts
My '05 (non-PZEZ mind you) also has nothing connected at that port/nipple. It's upstream of the TB and would not be subject to "vacuum" anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that's the thing, it's not passing the visual. they didn't even want to put it on the tester, just sent me packing.

no code, and has never been close to a polluter even by California standards.

but, California requires that little CARB sticker with an EO# that matches your make model & engine. Having the 2.3L certainly limits that to one aftermarket, the Cosworth.
Which I do not have :D thus the stock box re-install until someone parts with a used one....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't get discouraged. Once you figure everything out, it will be incredibly simple to swap the stock box to an aftermarket setup and vice versa. PITA? yes but its only once a year right? Kind of like taxes, once a year but a PITA none the less. Mod on [headbang]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found that diagram too, but it doesn't show the connection I'm talking about... it's right below the restriction gauge which is #9N622 + 9697, maybe a 3/8" tube goes on it... a barb type nipple molded right into the resonator body, not drilled & fitted. i guess i toss it in, see if it throws a code. i have a reader, so at least that won't cost anything. except maybe aggravation haha

been considering taking it somewhere else the way it is & playing stupid girl... but i don't want a comment logged into the DMV's system if i can avoid it. sigh.

the current connection of the MAF to the intake assy has a rubber connection with hose clamps that's pretty obviously not stock.

·
Registered
666 Posts
have you tried taking it to a different Motor vehicle place?

Here in NJ, if one place fails you, another place wont.. just depends on where you go

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't know if anyone has said this but welcome to FF!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the welcome [wave]

I'm going to put in the stock box not just for smog, but i also want to see if the sporadic stutter/hesitation i get on launch from a full stop persists with the stock box.

been trying to get my regular mechanic to figure that one out, he keeps pointing at the air intake, and alternately that the sport clutch is touchy.

it's not really a short ram, and not really a CAI. i suppose heat sink could be an issue, but could also need tuning or adjustments to throttle & friends. not feeling especially juiced about the investigation. after a long list of pretty sucky vehicles, i just wish this one would smooth out.

really making me eyeball the lightly used Lotus i've seen for sale in this area. but i really shouldn't get into a car loan right now.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thanks for the welcome [wave]

I'm going to put in the stock box not just for smog, but i also want to see if the sporadic stutter/hesitation i get on launch from a full stop persists with the stock box.

been trying to get my regular mechanic to figure that one out, he keeps pointing at the air intake, and alternately that the sport clutch is touchy.

The intake could very well be your prob. Mine did the same thing until I got a tune. The intake makes it run lean.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the silly thing is now installed. found out my negative battery cable was all corroded in the process. stripped the wires, cleaned the contacts, stuffed all the wires in there... works for now but need a new cable connection soon. my ******* engineering won't last for long...

once i got it started again, it's pretty smooth at least. Smog in a couple of days. gonna take tomorrow off. Also figured out that I didn't have to take off the wheel well splash guard, but only b/c I had it up on a jack stand & have small hands [:)].

I put a really bright LED on that barb fitting & looked, and it appears to not have a large opening to the body of the resonator, if it has any opening at all. So I'm going with the theory that nothing goes on it. we will see if the smog machine agrees [pray]

Suelzer -thanks for the links. those are the same pix in my shop manual. I guess they didn't think we needed to know what the barb was for!

All: thanks for the info, support & encouragement!
shannon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts